What's new
What's new

Ceramic parts SiSiC wire cutted

Is it conductive? I have never dealt with any conductive ceramics myself.
Check it with a volt/ohm meter. If it is nonconductive you aren't going to cut it in any EDM I know of.

Have you tried carbide technology? It looks like that is basicly what SiSiC is, at least according to their website.

Chances are that will be the best place to start. How conductive is it? If it has very low conductivity you may need to get additional grounding closer to the cutting area.

Also, are you familiar with Trens machine company? They used to be known as TOS. http://www.trens.sk/index.htm I have an older TOS SU32 model and I cannot locate a manual. They did not answer any of my Emails.

Is this a ceramic coated carbide insert then? If so I imagined the ceramic is adversely affecting your conductivity and thus your ability to cut it.
It could be that your competition is removing the ceramic coat in a non-critical area to achieve a direct connection to the carbide substrate. This is a common technique for cutting anodized aluminum with EDM and would likely work in your case too.
Note that the connection you want is a good ground connection between your part and your rails. If the ceramic coat is thin enough the spark should then penetrate of it's own.
If, on the other hand, this is a solid ceramic insert I really don't know what you could do.
You might try calling Hitachi's applications department. I assume they have one. We've had occasion to call Charmille's applications department several times, with favorable results.

I have cut this material.

It's low conductivity does make edge finding difficult. I always located on a carbide insert and the cut the cermet.
I have never cut cermet on a Hitachi and frankly wouldn't want to. I assume you are making a cutting tool with the cermet?? That Hitachi you have has no concept of maintaining a clean cutting edge.. Are you getting good finishes on carbide with that machine?? Achieving a good finish will be very difficult. Forget any strictly polishing generators. They will only screw your dimensions. Your first skim cut should be a slightly lessoned rougher... Follow that by a true dimensional skim cut and then run that cut again.

4-passes
rougher - huge offset
weak rougher - normal offset
skim (1st skim settings) - take off .0015"
skim (1st skim setting) - take off .001"

Newer machinery (especially Mits) cut cermet very well and with more conventional passes.

Good luck... You need it...

Thanks.
Im connecting to area distributor HITACHI,but division HITACHI VIA MECHANICS is fail up. I have new condition and parameters (for this material) for me machine in japan main headquarters HITACHI.So is wrong!

Thanks for everything

Back