What's new
What's new

can't get my Eltee to burn

snocat_trf

Hot Rolled
I have it running finally but when I press the start button, the voltage comes up but the spindle will not go down to the workpiece, I am not sure why, I am going to check the wires going to the servo that actuates the hydraulics today, I will cross my fingers that it is a shorted out wire...

You got air pressure? Is there something jamming the spindle? Have you lubed it recently?

Just some ideas off the top of my head. Once called a repairman because I forgot I turned off the air.

SNOCAT- another thing to check... There's a large diode connected between the two power output connections at the inside left wall of the generator cabinet. If this diode is bad, the servo will not advance.

Make sure there is not a short circuit between the electrode and the workpiece.

Eltees had several plates of insulating material sandwiched between the tooling and the ram. If that insulation is missing or compromised, a short will prevent the ram from moving down.

One other thought. Check the power cable that is attached to the ram of the machine for cracks in the insulation. If this cable is touching the edge of the worktank and there is a short, the ram will not advance.

Dielectric can really do a number on insulation.

Contact EDM Sales&Supplies at 1-800-888-9080 they
were a dealer for Eltee and may know of someone
who can help you. There was also a service tech
by the name of James Weirdo, he worked out of NJ
and if you can find him he could be of some help.

Thanks Jack, I will start with those, I am busy this week taking my nephew through gun safety so prob won't get to it til sunday, that regular job of mine takes up so much of my free time!

EDM AE, where is this diode located and what does it look like? Is this from the back of the machine of the front? the only thing on the side panels are the connectors for the wires going in.
this power supply is different than the other eltee's I have ran, this one has everything in the rack and not the control mounted on the side of the machine base.

Bass Master, thanks for the tip, I also have called Freedom Technologies, the guy there is one of the original designers of the power supply, and has been very helpful on the phone.

SNOCAT-

The diode will look just like these, but will be covered with black heat-shrink tubing and will also have an additional short length of cable with a ring terminal attached to the threaded post.

1n3296diode.jpg

Not knowing which model you have, I would follow the power cables from the machine back to the generator; I'd think you could hardly miss it.

so how do I check the diode? is it just a simple check with an ohm meter? or is it more than that? please forgive my electrical knowledge or lack thereof....

Snocat

If you have a digital multimeter, most have a diode checking function:
diod-sym.gif

The diode will only show conductivity in one direction if it is working properly. If it conducts in both polarities, it is bad. You will need to remove the diode from the machine to test it properly. Note it's orientation before removing so you can get it back in the right way. There's a few good procedures on the web detailing how to test large diodes like this one. A quick Google should get you going.

Addition to Bass Master's post: Mr. Weirdo is working in applications for Mitsubishi in NJ, I hadn't realized he'd been with Eltee.

Back