What's new
What's new

A shift in popular-sized ram EDMs?

I heard this from both EDM shops and a few EDM builders. The 8 X 12-in.-sized ram EDM is no longer the most popular size machine for U.S. shops to purchase. The reason being that the size work done on these machines is increasingly being sent overseas. So, for U.S. EDM shops to stay competitive, they either increase the amount of smaller or larger work they do, thus making machines smaller or larger than the typical 8 X 12-in. machine more common.
Is any one else hearing this?

Chuck, from my perspective, you are correct. Our tool shop shares a building with a molding company. 5 years ago, they had over a dozen 40 ton molding machines running around the clock.. These machines were running small 8X8 molds.. Today, those small machines sit, the only thing running are the 200 and 300 ton machines.. The molds in them from 1,000 to 5,000 in weight.. Small molded parts are all offshore now, except for very specialized products...

We set up our toolshop to build and repair molds up to several hundred pounds. Shop is sitting idle.. No work to be had..

Chuck, you can edit and delete your own posts. The 4 icons at the top of each post, the one one the right that looks like a pad of paper and a pencil, that's "edit/delete post".

Cheers!

Chuck,

Many of the shops I visit decide to purchase larger EDM equipment so they can place more than one job in the machine for extended, untended burns. This would, of course require more travel in the machine.

Also, for those shops who use automated pallet changers, there is a need for enough room for the Chuck in the machine as well as clearances to allow the robotic arm to enter and exit the tank.

The goal in both approaches is to run the machine into the night and over weekends.

The reliability and accuracy found in CNC EDMs, coupled with accurate Tooling, reliable toolchangers and/or pallet changers makes this all possible.

Jack

Back