What's new
What's new

Conductive Glue

BrianA

Plastic
Does anybody use a conductive glue for holding parts in their wire edm?

We are looking for something to hold small (about.100 x .040) carbide punches while trimming off the glue stop.

We have tried a couple of epoxies, but have yet to find anything suitable.

Silver solder, braze, or some JB Weld.
Can't you use super glue and ground the work piece to the table with some wire/cable?? How big is your part?

The parts are so small it is difficult to avoid getting glue in the cut off area. If the glue were conductive that would not be a problem.

Brazing etc. is not an option, because the punches have to be removed from the block without damage.

I have used nickel print for years to establish continuity. This is not to be used for bonding, but it does have a weak bond strength. I usually bond with epoxy, then cover with nickel print to get the continuity. I recently purchased a 2oz bottle for $40 on the internet. A bottle lasts me 10 years then it gets beyond shelf life.

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id229.htm

TMD

Kodak’s Eastman 910 (the original Cyanoacrylate "super-glue") is available from EDM suppliers as well as a nickel-based concoction that is probably too thick for your small parts.

For a small part like you have described (too small for super magnets), I use a mill file to create a small pile of graphite powder from a scrap piece of EDM graphite. Squeeze out a few drops of standard, over-the-counter super-glue or crazy-glue next to the graphite powder and with a toothpick, mix the powder into the glue producing a thick black slurry. Since your parts are small, use the same toothpick to strategically apply this "gunk" to secure your part for an electrically conductive cut-off pass.

Most parts will simply “tap” free with a soft-faced hammer or copper drift. Acetone or nail polish remover can be used as a solvent to soften stubborn glue joints.

Back