What's new
What's new

wire edm through hardcoat anodize?

You may be able to use a guide and a diamond (PCD) toolbit and scratch through the hard ano where you plan on starting the cut. That "might" be simpler than getting your ano shop to mask the fine line you'd typically need to get started.

PM

The application is we have to put 40 narrow slots (.0360 +.0004 - .000) by .472 deep in the edge of a 4 inch thick parts. If we do it before anodize we will have to mask the slots. Was hoping to do it after anodize. Will the anodize go into the slot? I don't think we can hold tolerence if it does, I have not found anodizing to be quite that consistant. The customer wants anodizing between the slots but not neccessarily in the slots. Razor like blades go int the slots. RJT

Hate to tell you this, but your not going to wire those after hardcoating and your not going to hold tolerance if you hardcoat them after wedm.

Sounds like a job for a slitting saw to me.

40 slots huh? How far apart are the slots?

How about this?

Ano... then use thin a Borazon or diamond grinding wheel to cut/grind a thin groove where each of your slots will go. That will allow you to get your wire cut started.

How the ano will react right where the slot meets it is an unknown for me though... as I've never done this.

PM

If it were regular anodize maybe, just maybe, but that will only work with hardcoat if he gets all the hardcoat off every surface the wire must pass through.

And don't forget he has to provide a ground too.

Back