What's new
What's new

EDM Wire Scrap Price

Patriot-mfg

Plastic
I'm new to wire EDM and am getting rid of my first barrel of brass scrap. I've been told that there is a difference in the price given for EDM brass compared to say 70/30 HH brass. Is this true?

Thanks,

Ed

Yes it's true.
If possible go through the people you bought your wire from when scraping it. They will often give you the best price.

I'm curious too.

I only use coated wire....doesn't look much like brass. How much trouble do you have with scrap dealers trying to tell them IT'S BRASS!

Also, whats the going rate right now? Scrap yard vs. dealer?

Pat

Here in my area they give you more if the wire is chopped.I believe the going rate is around .80 per pound for chops.That is for plain brass wire.

Amazingly enough, I have a customer down in Delaware that claims their scrap guy gives them LESS for chopped wire. Claims he "looses too much" when dumping in the small bits into the pot. First and only time I heard that.

They don't really care though, get a few more bucks for scrap and they don't wear out choppers

MitsTec that is what my scrape guy told me; chopped wire is worth less. Luckily my Sodick doesn’t have a chopper. The price was $1.50 per lbs, not too bad.

Thanks
Ed

No, that's not bad at all Patriot!

I still find it strange, most of my customers say they get more for the chopped wire :confused:

I guess it depends on the process they use to remelt the wire. I'd be very interested in finding out the reason!

We chatted about the chopped vs. unchopped here before. I was the only one who said I was getting more for chopped. Where were you then MitsTech?? I was all alone and all the New Englanders were ganging up and making me feel stupid. I actually called my scrap guy to make sure I wasn't wrong...
Anyhow, someone said something about too much surface area on the chopped wire and it was leading to much vaporization loss when remelting. I have a hard time visualizing that extra surface playing that big of a roll. Maybe if you tried to melt one tiny piece at a time, but I would think they'd dump it all in at once and would then be essentially remelting a huge solid chunk of brass... Ehhhh, what do I know???

Back