What's new
What's new

Absolute beginer seeks advice.

DerekDee

Plastic
Hello,

I think I have stood beside a working spark erosion machine twice in my life but never used one. From various manufacturer sites and this forum I think I understand the basic differences between wire and diesink machines.

My problem is that I have to replace a Hurco Agemaspark 250 EDM that we inherited with something similar, the Hurco was destroyed in a fire.

I have information on three machines that are described as equivalents, one is ZNC controlled and the other two as CNC controlled. I am assuming that ZNC has computer control on the Z axis only and the CNC can control XYZ axis simultainiously.
The machines I have information on are a Eurospark EZE2030, a CHMER323+50NZ and an Actspark SP1(Agie-Charmilles).

In our machine shop we have a Bridgeport Interact CNC mill, a Yang Eagle VMC and a Hass Minimill. Does the CNC sparker operate in a similar fashion to the Bridgeport as far as table and quill travel are concerned with the electrode burning in place of the cutter? I am not hoping to use a sparker as another mill only trying to get my head around how they operate.

How far wide of the mark am I?

All help gratefully received as I would like to have some impartial advice before talking to the company reps again.
Sorry for being so long winded, especially on a first post.

Derek

Derek
You are correct, ZNC controls the Z axis only.
You are also "sort of" correct with the comparison to a CNC mill. Although the CNC on an EDM machine contols MUCH more that just the movement of the axis.

The controls also control the generator functions, orbiting and spark gaps to provide accurate burns.

As far as the machines you have mentioned, find out who has the best service and parts in Scotland first. Support will be critical and that would be a big part of my decision. With the machines you listed (not knowing the support situation in Scotland) I would go for the Agie. I do not know anything about the Eurospark, nor can I investigate since none of their links seem to work on their web site (a bad sign).

1 Question - how did the fire start??? Was it just the EDM machine that was lost? or other equipment as well. Just curious, and sorry for your loss.

Greg

Thanks for the reply Greg.

Glad to know I was on the right track regarding XYZ movement at least.

I contacted three suppliers whose details I found on the www.machinery.co.uk website. They were the links that worked best.

The Eurospark guy replied by email within 30 minutes and was good to talk to offering to arrange a visit to one of there customers in Scotland if I didn't want to travel to their site in Liecester (500 miles round trip and a long day) to view the machines on offer. They have a customer in Glenrothes, as we are, that has just taken delivery of a wire erosion machine. Some of their work is small tight tolerance components and I doubt they would tolerate fools gladly.
www.eurospark.co.uk

The Agie rep is coming to visit next Thursday as he is Scotland once a fortnight, so a chance to pick his brain.

The CHMER machines are distributed by www.edmplus.co.uk and their telephoned to find out what size of machine I was looking for and then sent details.

The EDM was being stored near a generator that went on fire taking the diesel tank and anything close with it. God or someone must have been smiling that day as no one was hurt and minimal damage to the building, fresh underware all round though.
The EDM was in storage as we inherited the machine when the company I work for bought a moulding shop to compliment our main stay which is vacuum forming, all design and tooling being done in house. The plan was to see how it worked when we were a bit quieter but never happened.

Last year the vacuum side moved into larger premises with room for a contained machine shop where we could accomodate the EDM and the machining centres. The EDM wasn't moved at the time as we were unsure what to do with it.

Now that we are being asked to add recycle logos and part numbers to more tools, some at the bottom of deep slots and I can see where it would be usefull we no longer have it.

Fortunately we had a new for old policy so I want to get the value from the insurance settlement.

As you say service backup will be as important.
as price.

Once again thank you

Derek

Glad to help!
I'm sure there are others here that will pipe in with the pros and cons of the machine selections.
Wouldn't hurt to check on Makino as well they are very good machines, but their low end machine might be more machine than the Hurco...
Again, can't vouch for the service in Scotland, but the dealer in the UK is:
Ferry Works,
Summer Road,
Thames Ditton Surrey KT7 0QQ
United Kingdom
44-208-398-4277
44-208-398-3631

Good luck!!!
Greg

Thanks Greg,

I emailed them this morning. That's four companies contacted so I'll stick at that just now, a few books on Amazon.com that also look usefull.

I'm going to need the luck.

Derek

Hi Greg,

The Makino rep was quick in arranging a visit to see me but their prices are a bit to Rolls Royce for us. £114,000 versus £14/20,000 but he did put me onto a colleague who could supply a machine in our price range.

Last week I received a phone call from one of the companies that has quoted on an EDM machine reassuring me off their back up after reading my post on this sight. It's not just Big Brother that's watching.

I have just received 'The EDM Handbook' by E.Bud.Guitrau so the grey matter will get some exercise over the next few weeks.
I might manage to sneak it into the holiday luggage for little light reading!

Please excuse the delay in replying but my password was not as memorable as I thought.

Cheers
Derek

Yeah,
Makino's are expensive... But good, reliable and accurate. Course you can't break the bank either

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you get!
Greg

Hi Greg,

Got back to work after my holidays and asked what happening re the sparker to be told I am not getting one, not just know anyway. I don't know any details as to why not as that is not my department.

Still I have the book and I now know what fuzzy logic is. Hopefully someday I will get to try the practical.

Thanks for your pointers and I will still be around the site as there is a mass of information which even if not relevant to my work is still interesting, you never know what will land on your desk.

Cheers
Derek

Back