What's new
What's new

over 60,000 lines of code, 76 operations, five positions

HackAsaw

Cast Iron
and I betcha thought I was gonna post a picture huh?

that was only for the main piece and there are four others.

Pic later and where can I find the policy on cleavage for this forum?
smile.gif

think eleven month summers eh

HackAsaw;

I am not the morallity monitor here but if you read the agreement clause you will find this statement:

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB."

I guess you must use your own judgement as to what is obscene, sexually oriented or vulgar when you post a message.

Each of us has the right to ask for something to be removed if we feel it violates one of the above.

Most of the people who use this board use it in a fairly professional maner. No I'm not opposed to women poseing in pictures nor am I so thin skinned that I can't take a little critisizm. Machining is my profesion and my hobby, I earn a good living from it and I always seek to learn something new to improve what I do or just to make it more fun.

I try to use this board to learn from more than to try and critisize or find faults in people. Some members though just can't seem to leave well enough alone when something rubs their fur the wrong way. I generally choose to ignore those types of responses.
Of course you will never be able to please everybody, someone will always find something to get their panties in a wad.

Enough said, On to the good stuff...

I like the mill you chose, I saw several of those machines on ebay over the last several months and I have never heard anything bad about them. Although I have never used one myself.

Post a picture of your finnished part when you can. Best of luck with your new machine and I hope it is real profitable for you as well and enjoyable. And what is wrong with an "endless summer?" (smiles)

Charles

Did you end up going with the tree?

I bought a fadal a year ago. I learned to program it from the manual. It wasn't as bad as I thought. About two months after I got the mill running I realized I really needed a lathe too, so I bought a haas lathe. No problem learning that either. Two days of free haas training and a manual was all it took. Now I'm not some kind of cnc guru, but I'm making money and that's all that matters.

Good Luck

well it's good to know I'd be hearing your opinons after the fact but I haven't bought a machine as of this moment... I have no idea what gave you that idea?

here's a link to the project pix

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=176566&messageid=1059104264

normally I would not post a link such as this but until they are uploaded on my site... 54 won't allow them to be hot linked.

Playing with the Fadal's keyboard is like learning pig latin.. pretty simple but lots of info.

Sorry if anyone was offended but I do admit I am a vulgar man.

I wasn't giving you my opinions on machines, just letting you know your not the only one running machines/cam software with no formal training.

I was talking to the other guy that said it was junk and I'd find out soon enough. I'm sure the world really needs more people like it.

I think some brighter kids that have the inclination to play some of today's video games could easily one and the mastercam will let you know when there are errors.

When the whole program can be pretty much be generated with mostly automation...... and downloaded with merely a floppy disc having less than 1.4 megs of capacity..

there can't be that much to it.

I'd like to learn more about the solids programs which I've been told is much faster and easier than the mastercam

The Fadal programmer is far from being mastered by me or anything resembling that but all it takes is the inclination and an open mind to figure them out...

thanks and hope you are progressing well

You hit the nail on the head with the video games thing. I was an avid video gamer when I was a kid. I had a commodore 64 back then. I learned to write small programs and I think that's why I learned cnc programming so quickly. A lot of people knock video games, but it's a great way to get kids interested in computers.

Everything is going well for me now. It's a little stressful at first, but once you get over the initial bump in the learning curve you'll be fine.

Good luck

you have me at a disadvantage..... I don't even watch TV and I'm lousy at video games
smile.gif

I did learn to write algorithms(can't remeber if that's the word it's been so long) back in the college days when basic was actually a language one used when windows were what you hired busty blondes to clean.

I guess it will be interesting to see the future of manufacturing in this country do whatever it's going to do but I'm pretty the future is not held by those with one foot in the grave.

I ran the machine and worked thru some problems for roughly 18 hours and I'm beat but I have a stack of nice parts. I haven't gotten in deep but learning how to find my way around the controller. I'm hoping to find time to do a couple manual projects on it that would take me two forevers on my manual mill.

Now what else I learned is that the solids work with the mastercam, not stand alone.

I'm also thinking there are days I like the idea of making tiny parts in exotic metals more than having grease under my nails.

Thanks and hope all goes well with yours

[This message has been edited by HackAsaw (edited 07-29-2003).]

Back