What's new
What's new

how common is it for people to have allergic

Generally it is the gunk growing in the coolant. Most have a biocide that when concentrations are kept in balance keep the creepy crawly stuff in check. Everybody reacts differently though, so best to sample some before buying a rail tank car of it.

You will see this happen when the coolant gets dirty. The hot summer weather accelerates the growth of micro organisims that cause the rash. You can buy a cream that you apply to your skin before you start working that works well I forgot the name we used to use but Im sure that there are several brands. For a quick fix you can add some bleach to the coolant and that will kill the "creepy crawlies".

no rash but I found that when I washed off after cycling the parts thru the machine...... I had less to no irritation.

Kat got the rash though but her skin is very sensitive.

Still though, the biggest problem I had was tiny bits of aluminum stuck in my scalp. After about two hours with number 5 tweezers....... I think she got them all out and now my head and neck have stopped bothering me...... that coolant seems to take tiny bits airborne with it and they go everywhere. The face mill spinning ten grand does have coolant misting over the top of the machine's sides.

Worse than tig welding naked and now I'm keeping a hat or bandanna on my head around this thing.

I was thinking bleach or swimming pool to kill the cooties....... that is some nasty stuff for sure.

Thanks for the help

One of my guys had a bit of trouble with it at first. But then after he got into running the oil machines too, the oil coating on the arms would keep the other from bothering him.

Coolant on at 10K?

Out here in Ohio we are a bunch of dumb farmers, so we wear a hat all the tyme anyhow. Doesn't everyone? I can't imagine what I would have in [what's left of] my hair without one.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

[This message has been edited by Ox (edited 08-02-2003).]

One of my guys had a bit of trouble with it at first. But then after he got into running the oil machines too, the oil coating on the arms would keep the other from bothering him.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

yep....... gushing and it sure seems to save a LOT of hand finishing work on those shiny aviation parts and sure seems to keep the tools happy. Is the 10K gusher something absurd? My understanding was that the magic coolantless cutting happened at 30K.

I really think that it's the 7075 chips that bother me but I do hate wearing a hat. The machine has never been sour and doesn't smell unpleasant at all. Farmed plenty but always considered myself a hunter.

So, you ever have the joy of cleaning wet brass chips from your machine? The stuff clings everywhere and puts a green crud on spots you miss. I'd almost swear doing it dry would be much more sensible but I'm just a button pusher (I sweep a mean floor too ;) )and haven't seen and read enough yet to know. Got a big stack of books though and I still read over 600 wpm.

How bout those belted Galloway heifers? Good eating if grain fed and absolute freaks if you whisper the right things to them. They like cold weather too.

try finding some big sheets of cardboard to put over the top to help stop the mist. I saw a mold shop that had their machines that way, must be a reason....

it's defintely the 7075 that got to me........

I took a sample home of the coolant and it's devoiod of any living organisms. It's nice to have a wicked microscope. It smells pleasant too.

I wore my watch and got a couple TINY dry pieces under my band while dry cutting on the saw....... tore my wrist up bad. It seems that I do not get along with 7075. Had the hat and covered my neck and all else was just fine.

Makes sense though...... it would seem that one would have respiratory issues if it were the mist......

did you know that one of the most agreeable ways for your body to ingest toxins is a hot shower?

Thanks Willie...... how are you doing?

I was reading about this 500,000 rpm spindle the U of F guys are working on....... THAT IS SOME CRAZY STUFF!

[This message has been edited by HackAsaw (edited 08-03-2003).]

Got a friend that was a supervisor in a shop building tanning beds. They were using industrial routers for the cutting pockets in the aluminum extrusions. They were having painting problems, which turned out to be aluminum dust in the air. They had to seperate the routing and painting operations to seperate buildings.

Best I can tell, life is hazardous to your health.
eek.gif

Back