What's new
What's new

Deawoo CNC lathes, any good???

QC

Plastic
Our shop was thinking about buying a small 8" Daewoo CNC PUMA lathe with barfeeder, I don't like the idea of buying a Korean made machine but since they are cheaper the owner of the shop wants to buy it,I told him to buy another Mori-Seiki because it's been a very good machine and hasn't had any problems in 10 years but they cost a LOT more, what do you guys think of Daewoo???

If thinking in Korean terms you might also consider Hwacheon CNC lathes. Here again no Mori Seiki, but decent machine from what I hear.

We have a Daewoo Puma 12LC. Has a 16" chuck. I've run it for three years now and seems to be very reliable and accurate machine.
Paul

We have a Deawoo Puma 200 barfeeder and it has been a fair machine, it's accurate but has had a few serious problems, a sensor switch went bad and caused the turret to rotate in the wrong direction and caused a 1.5" boring bar to hit the 3 jaw chuck spinning at about 2000 RPM, knocking the turret 1/32 out of alignment,several hyd. hoses have burst spraying fluid all over, the tailstock has never been very accurate because it never tightens down the same two times in a row so I can't just trust it to cut straight everytime, and the last problem it had the shaft that holds the turret on broke and had to be replaced. The fit and finish was never very good either and when it was new I had to beburr the turret where the blocks bolt on becaues the factory left burrs on all the holes and edges. I don't think I would recommend one.

I don't think they are very rigid. I dislike the fact you haft to pull out the entire coolant system just so you can lift the conveyor up so you can clean under it.
And I'm even having similar problems as the post above me wrote.

c-ya

Originally posted by Milicron:
I don't think they are very rigid. I dislike the fact you haft to pull out the entire coolant system just so you can lift the conveyor up so you can clean under it.
And I'm even having similar problems as the post above me wrote.

c-ya

I'm surprised at this... what would be more rigid than the box-way Daewoo in the price range? Definitely not any of the linear machines being offered by others, or the "fake" slant beds, which are just engine lathes with the slant section bolted on. I have not had experience with hydraulic failures, but as a tech that services Daewoos, I can tell you they are one of the more problem-free brands I service. Other than simple things (switches, operator crashes, etc.) they have proven to be almost "install-and-forget" on average. What I like to tell people is that most machines are only as good as the original install and the support / maintenance they receive. If it's not set up right originally, not maintained well, and not supported well, it's going to have problems, and I don't care who's name is on it, or where it was cast. I support about seven brands, and I can tell you that as long as they are matched to the intended use, and maintained properly, problems are few and far between. But when the machine can't handle the work, or it's abused in one form or another, there will always be problems. Just my .02.

-MC
www.SilverHorseRacing,com

Originally posted by ChipMaster:
[B and the last problem it had the shaft that holds the turret on broke and had to be replaced. [/B]

I can't speak to your other problems, because I'm not there, but this one was covered by a replacement part. The new shaft you received should be different, due to them realizing the design was flawed on the turret on some models. In our region, we replaced the units in question under warranty, but I don't know your particulars, so can't say whether or not it should have been taken care of by your dealer.

-MC
www.SilverHorseRacing.com

The Daewoo mentioned in the article is mostly the automotive branch, not Daewoo Heavy Industries Machining division. Although I am sure DHI will be affected by this, I don't think one's restructuring would definitely cause the other to be torn to shreds. I will be happy to ask around though and see what my sources have to say on the matter...

I have ran up to 3.5 million parts on a 6-S Daewoo with Fanuc 0T controller. I was down for mechanical and elecrtical breakdowns for just 4 hours total the whole time we owned the machine over a 3 1/2 year period. We ran 14 second cycles on it, grueling torture 4 indexes and 3 spindle reversals per program!! cycle Purchased the machine in 1994 for $68,000.00 new with chip conveyor. Sold it 3.5 years later for $40,000.00 , I made over 1.9 million dollars gross with that machine while I owned it. The job we ran was all labor, no material was purchased 1.9 mil labor. I purchased a second machine because the first one was doing so well. I still have it, 1995 model. Daewoo is a FABULOUS MACHINE BUILDER. Does anyone know where I can buy a 6-S with a Fanuc 0T controller? I need another one.

Have a look at the Doosan range also made in Korea. They are licensed built from Okuma-Howa. If you want a faster machine look at Hyundai which are Mazak designs.

Back