What's new

Light-hearted discussion of machine goo

• Thread starter atetsade
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 1,330
A

atetsade

I just got a nice '96 DaeWOO Puma 10HC (ampsucker). It's in good condition with just a few halfass repairs made because ppl couldn't find the P/N of one of the tailstock switches, but we're cool now.

The reason the switch was disconnected and over-ridden is because of this new & confusing type of machine goo. It seems to be a carmelized combination of way oil and cutting fluid, and I cannot figure out how to remove it. I use mineral spirits solvent, but even that doesn't work very well.

WD-40 works in a pinch if I have to clear out hex headed bolts.

Do you have any suggestions? I want to shine it up and fix all the little stuff. This machine is really clean except for the goo.

ALSO! I would *LOVE* to wash out the whole coolant tank. It is located in the base of the machine. Can I flush this with water and suck it out? What's going to be in there?

Castrol makes a cleaner product that you mix with water at about 20 to 1 and clean the entire machine with when changing coolants. I don't recall the number, in the 6300's somewhere. I have used it before, but never encountered your version of goo, it may be ep2 grease dehydrated as well. You may try kerosene or diesel fuel, and acetone/laquer thinner as a last resort. I'd like to hear what other folks use.

Since that stuff is the residue of soluble cutting oil try warm water.

The detergent is still there although it is thrown out of balance by the way oil and lubircating oil that has mixed in. You might think of adding a detergent to your water. Let it soak.

Be sure to clean up and dry the thing out after you stop working. Some water is acid and will cause rust very quickly. If you are going to be away from the machine for a while, rub a film of oil on the moving parts.

Another thing to try is to drain the coolant tank and mix a "rich" batch of coolant. The unbalanced detergent will be looking for oil and will attack the goo. Use the coolant nozzle to wash down the machine.

Any way you do it, getting rid of the stuff will be difficult. Eccch!

By the wy, always mix coolant strictly according to the directions and measure carefully. Thereafter keep the coolant at the right concentration by keeping the tank at the same level it was when the batch was first filled. There are coolant concentation ceckers available, if you can afford one get one and use it.

The water in coolant evaporates but the detergent stays.

If coolant goes rich, the detergent in it attacks the lubricating film on the ways of the machine. I think that this kind of stripping of the lubricant from the ways of a machine is the leading cause of wear in machine ways. I have seen this on manual and CNC machines.

I know on New turret punch machines and press brakes all the surfaces that can rust come in coated with globs of cosmaline on them. I have found that kerosene is the best for removing this stuff. It cleans well and also has some lubricating properties.
Hope this help.
Mike

Back