What's new
What's new

Haas SL-40 lathe question

rustic

Plastic
hello all. this is my first post. i have been looking all over the net for a machining forum. this is the best one i have come across. my question is about headstock-tailstock alignment. i run a haas sl-40 at work. the machine is 2 years old and i have unfortunately crashed it a few times. so i am fairly sure that the headstock is out of line. i tested this by running a 12 inch linear without the tailstock which gave me a taper of about .oo7. my problem is with the tailstock. when i bring my center to a freshly bored part the center is lined up side to side but is an eighth of an inch too low. it seems way too low to me because i am only pulling a .007 taper per foot. when i do use the center in a part it sounds like the bearings in the chuck are grinding together because the center pushes down on my part. would i be able to shim up the center or should i try and realign the chuck? i have never lined up a chuck before so any help you guys could give me i wuold greatly appreciate. thanks

Please let us know what you find out.
I have a Haas SL-10 and would like to know the procedure for lining up the headstock.

Also does anyone know if Haas will sell the service and parts manuals for there machines? I like Fadal, they have all there manuals for all there machines on-line to download.

Is there a Haas Factory Outlet nearby you could call? The manual came with our machine. The website for Haas is www.haasautomation.com
i was able to fix my alignment by making two new spacers that slide under the tailstock. i just loosened up the four bolts and they slid out. i then measured them and took a guess at how much thicker i needed to make them since i was too low. as far as side to side alignment, there are two allen set screws on each side of the tailstock that push the tailstock in the direction you need. just remember to back them out a bit after you lock everything down. i hope that helps you out.

Back