What's new
What's new

WooHooo The Eagle has landed!!!!

ARB

Titanium
Tonight we took delivery of the Haas VF3 With pallet changer. It was of course a cold snowy night but that did not stop us from gettin her in the shop. What a big relief to have it sitting on the shop floor. Now I can relax a little and start to enjoy the fact that we are well on our way to having a primo tool and die shop of our own.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Take Care

ARB
Butler Performance Machining (finally)

Congratulations, it is nice to get a brand new machine (I think, never had one). Good luck. My first brand new machine will be a Sunnen tool room hone MB1660 that should be here early next week. Not exactly a machining center, but a needed piece of the puzzle. With that the Dun and Bradstreet will look a bit better and maybe the will let me have a machine center. Just out of curiosity did you look at Hurco? Sorry about the snow, We never had any of that either. Post us a pic of the machine and the snow.
smile.gif

Tim, My machine is not new. It is an older one in sweet condition. New is nice but I need to walk before I can run. Some day I hope to have a new machine (Mori Seiki)
biggrin.gif
. I should have some pictures of the machine and the shop by the end of the weekend to post. We have been working like hell to get the shop ready for the arrival of the machine. It is all starting to take shape. Now I need to make some $$$$$$ to pay the bills.

Take Care

ARB

Tonight we took delivery of the Haas VF3 With pallet changer. It was of course a cold snowy night but that did not stop us from gettin her in the shop. What a big relief to have it sitting on the shop floor. Now I can relax a little and start to enjoy the fact that we are well on our way to having a primo tool and die shop of our own.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Take Care

ARB

CONGRATULATIONS! All the best!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Take Care

ARB
You had me with snow in September. We were 100+ yesterday. Then I catch on Dec 2003. Still making parts and money. You have taken care of the machine!
Good for you.

I have never had an old CNC die. I mean, I've bought a bunch of them non-running and repaired them and I've surely had to fix my own junk many times, but never had anything that was really a coffin nail. That said, I have scrapped several good working older machines because they were worth more by weight than anyone wanted to pay and a newer machine coming in meant an old one had to leave.

I had a 1979 Mazak M4 twin turret CNC lathe that was an awesome machine. In 40 years the only parts it needed was the 5V power supply for the position display and the motor for the hydraulic pump. It made awesome parts and plenty fast for a big 2 axis lathe. But I got a deal on a live tooled C axis slant bed with double the HP so off to the shredder it went.

I've seen one die, but perhaps it was more of a situation where a Do Not Resuscitate order was put into effect. It was an Okuma LB10 that hit the shop floor in 1984 and pumped out well over 1,000,000 parts. The last few years saw many electrical parts (relays, circuit boards, etc.) replaced, and when it started to turn itself off at random times seven or eight times a shift it was decided to let it retire on its own terms.

I've seen one die, but perhaps it was more of a situation where a Do Not Resuscitate order was put into effect. It was an Okuma LB10 that hit the shop floor in 1984 and pumped out well over 1,000,000 parts. The last few years saw many electrical parts (relays, circuit boards, etc.) replaced, and when it started to turn itself off at random times seven or eight times a shift it was decided to let it retire on its own terms.

I have a 1985 Okuma Howa that's run millions of parts. It made fittings for weatherhead. You'd never know it, it's one of my cleaner machines.

The random glitchy shutdown crap can drive you insane, but it's usually something simple like bad electrolytic capacitors on a drive board or a weak contactor coil or overload trip.

A lot of my machines came from shops that did exactly what you describe. I got a Mori that was supposed to be dead dead. It needed a $19 ballast for the LCD screen. My first CNC mill was a Mori and I got it for cheap because the Y axis thrust bearings were toast they said. They gave me the new thrust bearing packs with the machine. I ran that mill everyday for 12 years. Never touched the thrust bearings. In the end there was a few tenths of out of round in a bore. Still have those new bearings, but the machine went to scrap last year just for being old.

I have a 1985 Okuma Howa that's run millions of parts. It made fittings for weatherhead. You'd never know it, it's one of my cleaner machines.

The random glitchy shutdown crap can drive you insane, but it's usually something simple like bad electrolytic capacitors on a drive board or a weak contactor coil or overload trip.

A lot of my machines came from shops that did exactly what you describe. I got a Mori that was supposed to be dead dead. It needed a $19 ballast for the LCD screen. My first CNC mill was a Mori and I got it for cheap because the Y axis thrust bearings were toast they said. They gave me the new thrust bearing packs with the machine. I ran that mill everyday for 12 years. Never touched the thrust bearings. In the end there was a few tenths of out of round in a bore. Still have those new bearings, but the machine went to scrap last year just for being old.

I know it could have been saved and still be making parts, but it was replaced with a brand new GENOS lathe with live tools. Now I have a spindle that's twice as fast, much faster rapids and turret indexing and Y and C-axis milling capabilities as well as 21st century control. The new IGF is light years ahead of the old stuff- I could go on and on. As you said above, the replacement machine is better.

I have an 86 Mori MV45 I still run when I get an involved setup for FAI before production I just leave it setup.

Sometimes it sits a year. What a great machine

Back