What's new
What's new

tool holder Question

mikel

Plastic
I need some tool holders for my new/old mill I just got. The mill manual says 40 V-flange (standard). I see some 40's on ebay but the all seem to be BT 40's. Is this the same holder I need I would hate to buy the wronge holders.
Thanks Mike

Generally speaking V flange usually means cat taper. In this case Cat 40. There are quite a few on ebay most of the time. Is there a drawing of the toolholder in the manual? If there is could you give us some specs like what the thread is that holds the retention stud. Also what make and model machine is it?

ARB

CAT-40 and BT-40 both have the same taper and both will fit a 40-taper spindle. The retention studs are different and the 'collar' is different. If you are going to manually hand load the tools, it won't matter which one you use. If you are using an automatic tool changer then you must have the right type holder for the tool change arm to grip the collar properly. Some machines (notably FADALs) are easily converted from BT to CAT or visa-versa. There should be a diagram in the manuals or a plate attached to the machine with tool holder and retention stud specifications.

Back