What's new
What's new

New to CNC machining

MaxNitrous

Plastic
Hi,
I am a performance/racing engine builder and I am interested in an entry level CNC machine. I currently have a genuine BridgePort vertical, a Chinese BP copy, 2 Monarch lathes, and various automotive engine specific equipment such as Sunnen hones, Rottler boring machine, Tobin-Arp valve seat and guide machine (if any of you are familiar with this stuff.) Anyway, I don't know much about CNC programming and I'm looking to get pointed in the right direction. You guys have any tips, book and/or website recommendations? CNC cylinder head porting and engine block machining is getting to be the norm these days and I don't want to miss the boat. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Todd

Just a thought but, in our area, the community college has CNC classes with new equipment. My older brother just took 1 term of Mastercam programming, which was a night class. 1 or 2 terms of class would probably have a guy like yourself up and going easily.

Good luck.

Max
Take a swing over to Mike Lynch's site. http://www.cncci.com/
He has quite a bit to offer. Also you can join us over at cncgurus.com and check out the forum there as well. Hang around and you should be able to pick up some usefull information on this site as well as the others mentioned. When it comes time to buy your machine, get all you can upfront. It is alot easier to do small work on a big machine but it is a real pain in the engine block to do large work on a small machine. I have been known to do a little "inside" work on on an engine or two.
Good luck.

ARB

Max, Our shop and situation is quite similar to your own, and like you we felt the need to keep moving foward and so made the commitment to upgrade into the "cnc deal". The machines we have are able to make the type of parts we want to make and our comfort level after the first couple of years was pretty good but not 100% like some one doing this type work EVERY day.( remember we are still doing motors and lots of other business stuff) The two things that stick in my mind about the whole experience is #1.. IT aint easy,and #2 it aint cheap! In my humble opinion,if you are wanting to do cnc cylinder head porting and block machining like the "fast guys" are doing be prepared for a very steep learning curve and the spending of lots of cash. If you have the wallet for it, buy the best machines and software and hire someone who knows what the hell they are doing and learn what you can from them before you hit the "Start button"other wise it can be a very expensive and frustrating experience.Only a hobby deal? and no need to pay the rent? well, thats different, whatever way you go probably won't matter much. I think the big misconception about cnc machines is that they are somehow "smart". Not so,they are only as good as the programing. The stupid things are perfectly willing to run the tool into the table,chuck,vise or YOU with only the slip of a decimal point.Am I trying to discourage you? no, not at all. But speaking as someone who has "been there done that" I would advise anyone that isn't working full time in the trade to be aware that it is indeed a challenging,( but rewarding) undertaking. Like most other endeavors in modern society the background for cnc didn't happen over night and to become an expert at it(which would be necessary to be a player in the cnc head game) takes a pretty serious commitment. You can see our little back yard operation and some of our stuff on the Benson eng shop pics on this forum. Feel free to ask any questions. Hope this helps! regards,
sasbenson

Back