What's new
What's new

Leveling and squareing a CNC lathe??

Zrt1200

Plastic
I just bought a Mori-Seiki AL-2B CNC lathe. I have a lot of CNC mill back ground, but I have nothing on a CNC lathe. My question is how do you square & level a CNC lathe. I know that I can put a cylinder square between centers and level it in the Z axis. But what about the X axis?? And how do you square these lathe's up between X & Z axis?? Thanks in advance for all of your help!! Al

[This message has been edited by Zrt1200 (edited 05-11-2003).]

ZRT1200, when I moved my cnc lathe, HAAS told me not to wory about leveling in the x. I did it anyway. I removed the machine covers that gave me acces to the ways. I put a level colinear with the z leveled in this direction, then perendicular "x" to the ways, and leveled again. I check frequently both directions while leveling. The ways are parallel to perfect level by .005 per ft. even though Haas said it was not needed I felt I needed to do this, as my tolerances are sometimes lees than .0004 dia. Check with the lathe mfg. about what level specs you need to hit for your lathe. Any of their tech's should be able to describe the process. Best of luck, DOug.

Here is a pic.
OKUMA2_022.jpg

[This message has been edited by Tumbleweed Tim (edited 07-22-2004).]

I just leveled an old Mazak CNC lathe a few days ago. Leveling in the Z axis is really not that critical for proper operation. I extended the tail stock quill and set my level on top of the quill for that. Since the leveling pad was long gone I just bolted a precision ground 1-2-3 block on the face of the turret using a washer on each side of the capscrew to keep and burrs on the turret from damaging the block. Place the level on the block and tap the block with a screw driver handle till the level is centered. Run the Z axis to both extreems of travel and adjust to eliminate the twist. Really pretty simple.

At the beginning of this year we purchased a FEMCO CNC lathe. When the riggers put it in it's place they were trying to figure out how to level it. When I called FEMCO they told me, believe this, that you don't have to level their lathes. That they build them so stout that you don't have to worry about.

We went ahead and leveled it anyways.

Back