What's new

Fanuc FAPT- What is it ?

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 22,959
D

D. Thomas

1988 Mori Seiki SL 25 lathe with Fanuc 10 control with optional color crt and FAPT software....it is my understanding this is conversational control but what does FAPT stand for ? Does it include part and tool path graphics ?

It's been about 16 years, but I was forced to teach myself how to use the FAPT programming software on a Hitachi-Sieki lathe when our lathe guy had a heart attack. We were making gear blanks for the new Airforce One at the time.

From what I remember, you first had to draw the shape of the part using the number keys on the key pad. The number keys had the symbals for lines and arcs along with the numbers. It seems the control did have the ability to trig. end points if you didn't have all of the numbers needed. After the shape was drawn, you choose from a library of tools, which tool to rough with and define the area by using little markers on your graphics to define the zone to generate tool path. The control also had enough smarts to determine whether or not a particular tool could go into grooves or not. After roughing you could choose the next tool define the area to cut and continue on.

When finished, it would generate code for you. Seems like we had do some editing afterwards.

It has been long time since using the FAPT programming, but I think it worked along those lines anyhow.It was pretty easy to use and could generate a pretty long program fast.

I would use again if I had to.

Thanks Steve. I just now found the motherload of info...an original Fanuc 10T-F 14 page color sales brochure deep in the bowels my files. The brochure explains and displays every minutia about FAPT and Symbolic FAPT....except for one little detail....what the heck the letters 'FAPT' actually stands for ! My guess is Fanuc Automatic Programming something (the T is unlikely to mean 'turn' because the control says "FAPT Turn" on the screen) or Full Automatic Programming ?? Anyone else care to guess ?

The control is indeed conversational and displays color part and tool graphics, plus antimated simulations of tool movements...pretty Star Treky stuff for 1988 !

Perhaps it's a superset of APT. APT stood for A Programming Tool, so - Fanuc Automatic Programming Tool. I don't know much about APT though...

What do I win? <g>

Could be it Flap, dunno. Kills me when these software guys conjure up these idiotic acronyms and expect everyone to just accept them as the 'word from on high'

Here's some FAPT info from if anyone interested...

mori9.jpg

mori10.jpg

I run a Daewoo that has a Fanuc 15T with the Fapt stuff on it. it's the only way I have to program the thing.
Paul

It's not bad, I guess. I'm basically self taught on the cnc programming. the Fapt is easy to use, but every once in a while it does something strange when it writes code, it shows up in the tool path when you run it through the simulation. A little editting is all that's necessary.
Paul

I would guess FAPTstand for Fanuc APT. Apt is a programming language with post processor. Post processors are a little different for each type of machine, but seem all based on APT, so Fanuc reasonable calls their post processor:FAPT
just a guess.....

Fanuc's Ladder software is also named FAPT. The plc ladder that actually runs the control is originally programming using FAPT ladder software. I have seen it in action, kinda cool stuff, but the guys who come out to operate it always get about $150/ hour.

FAPT does in fact stand for Fanuc Automatic Programmed Tool. As someone has already explained, you first draw your part shape, then you select different processes in the order that you want to machine the part and then you can run the simulation to make sure you like what you have done. FAPT will give you a G-Code program which use to be a advantage over the Mazatrol software.

FAPT is best on the Lathe, I thought it was too difficult to use on Mills.

I've used it too, except it was on a 1982 Hitachi. I think it was a 3t control. It was really quite versatile. Mine didn't draw the picture of the chuck jaws like this one appears to do. There are parameters to set a lot of "preferances" for different materials and for the tooling library. I don't know about that one but ours didn't spit out the program with any canned cycles, it was all single code output. Made it kinda nice for customizing things.

BTW. FAPT= Fantastic Amazing Programming Thingy. :D

I asked the same question while attending a FAPT programing class maybe 15 years ago at Hardinge. Teach said it stood for Fantastic Amazing Programing Thing :D :D !
Carl

Back