What's new
What's new

Haas toolroom lathe

agertool

Aluminum
Hey everyone, what is everyones opinion on the line of Haas toolroom lathes? I have seen a few at shows and they seem like a real descent machine for the money. I also understand that there is an aftermarket tool changer from Dorian available as well as a factory one from Haas in the works. I currently run two engine lathes but would like to get my feet wet in the cnc area but I dont have any training on them yet (looking to take some classes for this. Again, any and all opinions and personal experience is welcome, thanks!

Bill

Bill:
Looked at teh Haas tool room lathes myself along with the Harrison and the Weiler but choose a Romi.

I bought the M17. 17x40 lathe. Romi (used to make the bridgeport e-z turn machines now sell their machines here under their own name. Very nicely finished and a real machine. True ground beds with friction ways (not linear ways like the Haas) spindle options to include D1-6 that i got because it would interchange with my other engine lathe tooling in the shop. Comes with a full function Fanuc 21i-T control that has full G code and conversational as well. Uses flash card for file transfer or RS232 if you like. Standard comes with all options..coolant pump and tank, tailstock, and all the Fanuic features. Only option is spindle nose if you like (standard is A-5). Machine has full enclosure, a must if you are going to run coolant. Also has nice handwheel setup on a sliding apron that you can lock to the carriage or move out of the way for setups etc....

Romi is now tahe largest lathe maker in the worls and they make everything in Brazil save the electronics which they buy from Fanuc.
No relation to the company by the way just think they make a pretty good machine at a good price.

Ps if you want a Dorian turret i have one i will sell that would fit the Haas or the Romi.
Cheers Ross

Whats the biggest diameter you can run on a Romi M17? I would need something along the lines of 8"-16". Wich of their product would I need?

And does anybody have any ideas on how much each of the combo lathes they make costs?

Back