What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Sabre 1000 VMC- counterbalance ?

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 3,930
D

D. Thomas

Just bought a Sabre 1000 vmc and was preparing it for shipping to here and couldn't find any hint of a counterbalance for the head..either on the machine or in the manual. Anyone know if it has one, or does it have a spring of some sort, or does it have a light head and nothing for counterbalance ? (that spring guard covering the Z ballscrew doesn't also act as a counterbalance spring does it ? )

Don,
I don't believe there is a counter balance on that machine. If there is it is in the form of a pair of gas springs that sit just outboard of the ball screw. There should also be a shipping bracket to lock the head to the table. If you can't find it. It would be a good idea to make one. If not secured the table will move around while in transport.
What control is on the Sabre?

Take care

ARB

Not sure, Acramatic 850 maybe ? 1992 vintage with color CRT, installed 4th axis. Boards inside the cabinet have "Fanuc" stickers on them. Powers up ok but get a "keyboard error" for some reason...which is strange as the keyboard seems to work fine.

I don't know if the 1000's have a counterbalance or not. My '95 arrow 750 does not have one. If it did, it would be an air cylinder running parrallel to the z axis ballscrew along the column behind the Z carrier. Disconnecting the air takes care of it, no high pressure nitrogen like Haas. Generally the ship prep on these is bring the z axis down onto the ship bracket or wooden blocks in its absense until you get an axis foldback error. When you fire her back up the head pops up first, so there is no issue with the alarm. Technically you should tie the x and y axis down to the base( there are tapped holes in the machine base under the way covers) if you have the brackets, but wooden blocks will work as well. I have seen them shipped short distances using only the Z bracket. There is a bracket across the toolchanger mechanism also when they are new. The z axis cover is a standard Centryco ballscrew protector that only keeps the chips off extend ballscrew life. If it is a 2100 controller you should have no trouble selling it. The 2100 is my favorite controller.

it sounds like an 850. I have never run one, but seen them in pictures. they are a different than fanucs in several areas, but were a solid control that is still supported.

There are no counter balances on Cinci's util you get into the 1250 series and higher (30" of z"). A 1992 would have the 850 control, probably not the 850sx. You are lucky if it has the fanuc drives, Much better than the Kollmorgen. Now they are only using Siemens and Fanuc.

Good luck....

P.S-
If you need help with it, I have all the info. books, electrical, drives, programming, etc.......

Back