What's new
What's new

Akebono lathes

GregCNC

Aluminum
I am looking for a US link to Akebono lathes. We have a machine that looks to be a prototype with both Akebono and Hardinge parts on it. Standard prints and ladder for a Conquest 42 don't match it and Hardinge doesn't seem to know what it really is. It is not a Talon from the UK. Does anyone have a good Akebono contact?

Greg, as one who likes to think he's heard of 'em all, I get a little upset when someone pulls out a machine tool name I've never heard of
wink.gif
Please tell me more...country of orgin, time frame, etc.

The Akebono lathes are/were made in Japan. The mfg. date on this one is 1989.4 and I have seen other models made by Akebono. I got a lot more web hits from the UK than the US for Akebono machines. Unfortunately the Akebono name is also applied to brakes, clothing, etc. Machines like this just prove you can always learn something new.

what is the information on the data tag, mainly the model and serial number (serial number usually on a separate tag) and I’ll see if I can find out anything on this machine.

The popularity of the name "Akebono" probably comes from the sumo wrestler, and the first non-Japanese (an American-born in Hawaii) to reach the highest level (yokozuna) in the sport. He was a true heavyweight-500+ lbs. He retired a couple of years ago.

Does anyone know anything more about these now? A small one came up for sale near me, and it could be a good fit for us, but if ti is a dead company it is not worth much.

Which control? I've seen them used with a Ot Funuc control. A very accurate little machine with a small work envelope. Had a used one for a time and never had to repair it.

Fanuc Ot is the control.

Yeah, it may not break itself, but I am sure I could find a way to break it ie. crash it.

Back