What's new
What's new

question on oversized parts

surplusjohn

Diamond
I have a Dah Lil 5 hp 13 x 51 table CNC mill with a Anilam Crusader Control. We have a production job were we have to counter bore 18 holes along a curved edge of a 9 x 48 laser cut 1/4 inch steel plate. Holes are 6mm with 8 mm cb in groups of 3 just about touching. CNC is the only way as far as I can see. The problem is the mill only has a 31 x17 travel and I need 40 inches to reach all the holes. Tollerences are tight but not really funtional on these soecific holes, and we will be doing at least 10,000 per year. One idea I have is to gang 3 or four of these on a fixture plate and locate the plate going long axis 90 degrees to the table. alf of the holes would be done then the fixture rotated and relocated.
The alternative is going to a much larger and more expensive machine with a 40 inch or longer travel. Any opinions on the praticality of this idea?

Thanks

I have been calculating .

To load and unload 1min (min).Then to machine 9 holes 2mins x10.000 parts =500 hrs at 70% efficency = 700hrs work for one machine.Hr rate $25 = $17,500 Even the most basic CNC will do the job .So buy a second hand machine to do them in one.Make money and then resell the machine (or Keep it).

Use the existing holes to locate the plate on a sub-table, pin the plate on location and clamp to the sub-table, machine the first series of holes, unclamp, pin for location and clamp then machine the remaining holes. If you do not need to use the entire hole you can leave the pins in the plate.

I would like to know where the features are dimensioned to, that may help to determine the best locating scheme.

I would try to sell the customer on a local dimension tied to the existing holes, for functionally the counterbores would be better toleranced to the existing features than the plate edges. You would still be relying on the accuracy of the previous operation. It would be important to find out if the holes were put in with one load or the laser needed to re-position also.

If the dimension scheme allows, I would consider a Hypneumat type machine, a dedicated fixture and a piloted counter bore type tool. The clamping can be accomplished by the quill on the down stroke with something built into the tool. This really keeps the counter bore tied to the feature.How accurate was the laser?

I have designed and built many fixtures to do this type of thing, it can be done.

I also like the idea of buying a bigger machine, now machines are cheap in the used market, if you believe that the economy will be roaring back, you could re-sell for a profit once the job is done do the math with your figures and decide which way to go.

Back