What's new
What's new

VF-2SS Haas what do you think

viper

Titanium
We are looking at a used 2005 Haas VF-2SS right now. Wondering about peoples thoughts on those machines. What would an 05 in near mint cond be worth anyway??

Is there anything special that was a known problem with those units?? The older Haas seems to see rather solid so hoping the SS does not give us headaches. Thanks again for all the help

I have a couple 2005 HAAS vertical mills. I think they are a great value. Maybe not super rigid but you can get a lot of production from them as long as you take care of them. I would flush the way oil lines and replace all filters including the way oil filter before running it.

There has been a lot of negative talk over on CNC Zone about SS Haas's. The pitch of the ball screws is what makes them faster. They are not as accurate. I know...the salesman sez....
Bottom line is that there are a LOT of very unhappy SS Haas owners out there.

So there are wrong in the specs in the repeatability? What type of accuracy issues do they have?? Will the spindle wear out fast with the higher rpms? Do these machines have good uptime?

I have a vf3ss and I did have the same problems that they are talking about on cnczone. the factory was able to make it much better with some parameter adjustments. Certain parts I will not run on that machine. but they run great on my Okuma MCV's

Just my 2c

what do I need to search for on cnczone? Man, we are about close the deal next week on it. Is that a bad move?? Sounds like they are not all that. Speed ain't **** if it can't make a quality part.

Just get them to do a final, light test cut for you, in aluminum, with the nicest finishing endmill you can find. Machine a zigzag pattern and then closely observe the quality of the finish created by the end of the tool on the part. If there is noticeable gouging (like dwell marks) whenever there is a direction change, then, that would be the problem that seemed to pop up with the SS machines.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36496

Yeah, and we do a lot of final polished parts. that is not cool. Has no one found the cause of this finish issue??

From what haas told me the high pitch of the ballscrews is to blame. when the axis changes direction then gains set to the motors were set incorectly. (how fast they accelerate the oppiste direction and how far) Someone correct me if I'm wrong its been 2 years since I made them fix it.

The problem will not show in a ballbar test as it is a large Radi I noticed it to be bad on small radi and slower feeds. After haas fixed it I am satisfied with the machine other then the 30 HP spindle that wont run with a 15 HP okuma spindle. But the okuma was $50,000 more but worth every penny! If you have the right scope of parts to run on it you will be fine

Im glad this thread popped up. I was thinking about ordering a vf2ss in a couple months. I guess i will do some homework first.

Maybe i need a Mori instead

Yeah, I am a bit stressed right now because we are supposed to close the deal tomorrow and I cannot get anyone to tell me how they like them. I sure good deal on one but that ain't **** if the mill is not worth having.

Have them test some parts for you. tell them you wont sign until you get the parts back in your hand so you can be 100% sure this is the machine for you.

Its not like you are purchasing a rare car. They make VF2's all the time, so if you miss out on this deal you can order another one tomarow.

Now that I can do. Thanks a bunch. By the way, 40K for a 2005 VF2ss, is that about right or a steal like I am thinking?? hours are 900 cut hours. Thanks again for for all the help.

Hi Viper:
Have you considered WHY they're offering a screaming deal on this almost new machine?
40K is an awfully good price...about what a super mini mill goes for!!
Smells like a disappointed owner to me, who wants to make his problem go away, and is willing to eat some cash to get it off his floor.
I might be wrong, but it's worth digging into a bit if you can.
Cheers

Marcus

It is a bank repo. That is about all I know. The machine will go through an inspection before I buy it anyway. I agree 40K smells funny.

Brandon

I think my last quote on a VF2ss was around 68k.

Do you have a good machine tool service around you? I would have them take a look at it. You never know, it might be a smok'n deal and a great machine. I bet it would fetch more than that on e-bay

Back