What's new

CNC Machine operating temperature

• Thread starter atetsade
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 8,546
A

atetsade

is there a general rule of thumb as to how hot/humid it can get in a shop before a CNC machine st4arts' ." ))90 K'CK'CK-K2 acting up?

Down here in Houston it gets really hot. Well, it gets humid and hot actually. In my last shop (non ac'd) it would get to about 110 far. in the afternoons. My shop always ran 10 degrees hotter than outside in the summer, and -10 degrees than outside in the winter. Our humidity in the summer is around 90-100%. Your machines will not mind the heat too much, but the humidity will kill them. Keep them oiled at night so condensation will not rust them. You will need to keep a close eye on them for tight tolerance work when the temp starts to warm up as the day goes on. On my lathe, parts would grow, or shrink .003 over the course of a day. Now that we have moved to an ac'd shop, that does not happen. I keep the ac set @ 76 far day in and day out. Best of luck, Doug.

The manual for my cnc lathe says
ambient temp
during operation 32 - 113
storage -4 - 140
Humidity
usually 75% or less (relative)
short period of time 95%

Wow. thanks.

it's funny to realize, day after day, how little I know about the huge project of adding CNC capability.

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and for helping me.

Back