What's new
What's new

Spindle Orientation on an Okuma Crown Lathe

cybertool

Plastic
I have a 1999 Okuma Crown cnc turning center, purchased new after touring plant in Charlotte, NC.

Want to turn on Spindle Orientation. It has a spindle degree location readout on the Position screen, but when you enter the spindle orientation command it throws an error. The dealer told me that it would cost almost 4 grand to get it turned on. Not willing to spend that much.

Any of you guys know how to turn on the Spindle Orientation on this machine? I think they are trying to rip me off. The newer models have spindle orientation standard, same controller, so I bet it is just a parameter change to get it done. Please help if you are an Okuma serviceman that can assist me in doing this.

I own 3 okuma LB 15's big bore and spindle orientation is an option not just a paremeter to switch. You can m19 untill you are blue in the face and it will not do an accutate spindle stop. If you are doing this to load a fixture, at the end of cycle shift into high spindle range it will make the spindle easier to rotate by hand. Then at start of cycle shift back to m41 low range if you need the power.
sorry but you and I will have to spend the bucks if we want m19 !!!

thats what I figured, I run in high range all the time as the part is just aluminum and requires little horspower to machine, just need the rigidity of the Okuma spindle to get the required micro finish.

thanks for the reply.

Back