What's new
What's new

Engineering Students retrofitting Maho 600E

MECTEC

Plastic
I am an engineering student at Lake Superior State university in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. Our engineering senior design team's project is to refurbish and retrofit a Maho 600E vertical mill. We are replacing the controller with a GE Fanuc 0i with all GE Fanuc servo motors. We were given a Tsudakoma rotary table for our 4-axis. We are also adding an automatic tool changer. This machine did not come with a ATC, we are building it from scratch.

If anyone wants to se pictures or has any questions or advise please feel free to ask or tell.

Thank You,

Jeff Gordon
Engineering Student
[email protected]

I for one would love to see how your tool changer works out. I would also like to know if you are trying to copy the one that was originally available or are you going to build one of your own design?

Charles

Honestly, none of us have ever seen an ATC for the Maho. We have lots of other designs(Victor, HAAS, etc.), but never a Maho. I have seen one picture that gave no detail what-so-ever.
Our controller can handle 5-axis, the 5th is for locating tool on a rotary style table. It will be a stiff arm that will be able to pick a tool from the rotary table(next to machine), move it to the spindle head, then go back to a "home" position. Then it will pick it from the spindle and put it into the rotary table.
Simple........Yeah..
I will post some before and during pics next week, on this site and the Maho site.

Later, Jeff

Jeff, I may have his contact info in my files but I'm out of town right now and can't look. If you don't hear back by Monday, shoot me an email to remind me.

He bought the Maho to resell and I'm a bit surprised it hasn't shown up on eBay already
smile.gif

Back