What's new
What's new

Large tools in Haas SMTC

JP Machining

Stainless
I have a Haas VF-4 with side mount atc. The atc says largest tool is 5" when flagged as such. I understand I need to flag large tools so it leaves empty pockets next to them.

My question is this; If all tools but one are 3" or under (non oversize). Can I atc a 6" slot saw. It looks to me like if the 6" saw is the only large tool in the changer and all others are under 3" that the empty pockets should leave plenty of room for the saw. The hole through the sheetmetal to the smtc looks to be big enough. It would be darn close to a few pieces of sheetmetal but appears as though it should clear by a healthy 1/4"

If there were other large tools and and empty pockets were shared then it would not be possible, then 5" would be the absolute min.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this before? I am thinking about maybe mocking up a cardboard "saw" to make sure it doesn't hit anything and nothing else goes wrong.

Thoughts anyone.....

I just hate the thought of having to manualy change tools and yes it does have to be a 6" saw, smaller will not work.

JP

On my VF2-SS it's not the caruosel that's the problem, it's the Z-axis way cover.

Try with cardboard first, there are many things for the tool to collide with..

I run a 200mm slot saw, but I run everything but the slot, then I run the parts one more time, machining only the slot, I think this is faster than changing tool manually all the time.
But that depends on how many parts there are to machine, I rarely do more than 200.

Back