What's new
What's new

tool tagging on a haas hl-4 lathe HELP!!!

doug925

Titanium
Help!!! I have a haas hl-4 lathe. I have been using the tool probe for the past 5 yrs. to set in tool offsets. I have to tag a new tool in the miidle of a run, but i cannot remove the custom soft jaws to get the probe down... since i have just bored a 11.812 bore 12." deep. I need to stay concentric. The machine has a " x dia measure" and a "z face measure" button. Pleas someone describe how to do this. I have to have these parts almost done, if not done by tonight. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Regards

Doug CLarke

Doug; I don't know if this will work on a lathe but on our mill I can preset a tool, write down the offset values, and then use a M00 to stop the cycle and allow me to replace the tool. I use a G10 perameter code to force in the different offset values in the offset register for that tool number. This works fine if you only have to do it once, doing it for each cycle would be a real pain.

Hope this helps, if not maybe it will at least give you a chuckle.

I run into this problem all the time. Simply touch your new tool to the face of the part, press "z face measure", then touch off on a known diameter and press "x dia. measure". The control will ask for a diameter enter dia. and press "write/enter". Done deal. Don't forget to put in tip code, and radius values.

Back