What's new

Haas owners how much way oil you use

• Thread starter D
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 6,108

D

Hot Rolled
I got a question that's been bugging me since we bought our first haas 10 years ago. We have
6- VF-8's and 2- VF-2SS's. Every stupid one uses a differant amount.
It amounts to filling the oiler every 2 days up to 15 days. Whats up? Every time a tech has been here they blow it off and say thats fine :rolleyes:
I don't think it is. Or maybe it is, never had any bearing or other problem's.

Thanks
Danny

Danny

I'm pretty sure there is a parameter to set the interval and on-time for the oilers. Gotta look in Manuel for it, let you know.

Ya but what always concerned me was how much is enough without drowning the spindle bearing's?

How much does yours use, say using it an average of 8-10 hours a day?

I guess it's a heck of a time to worry now the 2 high speeds use the least and are the oldest.

I NEED a 3rd vacation and have only worked 2 weeks since the middle of june.

The big HMC's use it by the 55 gallon drumb's LOL

thanks Danny

Mine use more than i think they should. Its kind of weird. The top of the tank goes fast and the bottom half seems to last like one would think it should.

Seekins, the problem I have is that there is such a variety of machines in my shop I honestly don't have a feeling for what would seem right. The Mazak VMC's use alot in my mind (about a quart a day).

A bit off topic here but.......

Danny, how does the Sharp SV2412 stack up against your VF2SS machines? Speed, rigidity, accuracy, etc?

P.S.- We still haven't got to see your Mazak SMM machine!

Joe,
Honestly the one sharp doesn't come close to the haas's and the haas's don't come close to the mazak's, but they all run good no problems and all have there purpose (no complaints about any of the 3)..Now okuma we won't talk about.

sorry about not getting pic's up yet
if I would stop screwing around with vacations maybe I might actually have time. Of course than me has to learn to post pic's, If it could be done with cad/cam it would be easy..LOL

By the way the smm is awsome cut time in half on some long job's

Danny

D

Great question.
Just looked at all 4 machines and the default is in all cases 108000. The actual usage however is all over the map. If I had any guess, the SL10 and the MiniMill is the closest to be reasonable, maybe 1 fill for 200 hours of useage, nearly identical on both machines.
What I'm guessing is that Haas had once made a measurement and determined the value basd on the output of that particular oiler unit. After that noone ever checked the variation from pump to pump. This would explain the 2-3X volume variation.
The problem is I don't know how to cycle the pump manually to measure what it's actually outputting per cycle.
So, I will use the proven scientific method of: Guess, try, guess again and try again to set the value.
It is setting #117 on my older machines, on the newer ones it's under SPINDLE -> LUBE CYCLE TIME.
I'm about to set the VF4 and the MiniLathe to 60000, which would equal to 20 minutes.
By the way, the value represents 1/50 of a second, so 108000 is 108000/50/60=36 minutes.

Seymour
Thanks alot. That explains why I always got the cold shoulder when I asked about it. Because they didn't even know.. Thanks for doing the leg work figuring it out. Just looked and have both ways also. Maybe I'll go play and slow down the ones that are slush's with oil. Maybe even take a peak at the MAJOR crash me programmed today. Haven't had the nerve to look yet. Somehow programmed a 2 inch spade drill at F1800.0 IPM
on a haspoloy part 4" deep (Mr slammy) OOPS bet that machine needs more than oil, hope I get fired. LOL

SND don't forget the wads of bubble gum.

actually have now seen the great job I have done.

besides oil,paint and bubble gum it will for sure need a spindle, it actually split the cat 50 part of it wide open, no fixing that one. Ball screw now has the great accuracy of .097 backlash, hell knows what else ,maybe scraped the whole machine for all I know, including a $12,000 casting that was being machined. OH and the operator wants new underware and hazerd pay. Time will surely tell I should have gone fishing.
HE HE
And what really piss's me off didn't even get fired.

Oh man, and to think I felt bad about chipping a $10.00 insert yesterday...

That must have been quite a bang.
What brand or model of machine was it ?

The operator's gonna be having nightmares for a few weeks, I know I would.

besides oil,paint and bubble gum it will for sure need a spindle, it actually split the cat 50 part of it wide open, no fixing that one. Ball screw now has the great accuracy of .097 backlash, hell knows what else ,maybe scraped the whole machine for all I know, including a $12,000 casting that was being machined. OH and the operator wants new underwear and hazard pay. Time will surely tell I should have gone fishing.
Rock and roll man you don't mess around!

Dave

If your going to do something do it right. I should be mad at myself but what the heck ya going to do. Haven't done that in years so it was due.Could have picked a cheaper machine though. I was in my office worrying about the haas oil problem and didn't hear a thing. But saw a very white faced guy coming toward the door after it happened. LOL Real good operator/guy gone scared (gun shy now).

It was a good size 48,000LB. HMC OKUMA MILLAC-800VH, It was getting old anyways been running almost 2 years now.

F1800.!? Wowzers!

What brand/model machine was it?

Hey look at the bright side, that operator will never run any drilling cycles of a new program again, without first checking the speed/feed!

Never mind, you answered my question right as I was asking!

Other than the now total destruction of the machine, how did that big 800mm HMC perform up until then?

Joe the machine was awesome, rugid, fast, pretty, one ya can be proud to show the big boys, but had a lot of problems with the control software running 5 axis, at least the first year. Iron wise the best we have/had?
It was lots of little bug's, mainly stupid things that were needed to run simotaniously. At the cost of a new one I'm sure it can be fixed, but there goes the bosses bonus.

I don't blame the operator one bit, he's great, knows what he is doing,(buys me coffee). He wanted to dry run but the cocky boss said just run it Me don't make mistakes. HA HA

Danny, that is one SERIOUS piece of equipment. Hopefully you didn't total the entire rotary axis in the spindle head.

What made you choose the Okuma over a similarly sized Mazak E-1060 type machine?

Back