What's new
What's new

BridgePort CNC Series1 Boss 8

roodvoets

Plastic
I have a Brigeport series 1 with the Boss 8 controls.
I have the added side terminal with key board which I cannot get to work. It will not display X,Y,or Z
Any idea how to get the terminal and the boss 8 control to talk to each other?

I have BobCad,and am looking to download from my lap top to the boss 8, and I have no clue how. No cables other than what goes to the side terminal.

I'm not a computer wiz but, I have a Bridgeport with the Boss XT controls and have run with the Boss 32 also. Seems to me that the systems are PC based and I beleive run in DOS mode so if you add on any hardware you may have to change some parameters and upload new drivers for the additional hardware for your operating system to use the new hardware. I have krep fed the Boss 32 before, using the RS232 port before cause, the buffer on the system was minimal. I currently use the A drive that is on my machine and both are accessable in the run command and going to F10 to load DNC from which ever source you would choose. My current Boss XT has an upgraded operating system. But, the CNC operating program is still DOS based.

I believe that the BOSS 8 was still using the proprietary Bridgeport software to communicate. I have documentation of wiring up the correct plug but you couldn't just run any old FTP and get it to work. If you have a more specific question, I have a good deal of BOSS 8 info. You can also schedule Bridgeport service through Hardinge now. You can find out more at [email protected]

Nivirt, your old XT can be upgraded with a hard drive for internal DNC. The FMDC card has a 32KB buffer. It most likely has a 286 WD motherboard with on board IO controller for both floppy drive and hard drive. Add a cable, harddrive, and transfer the operating system, complete with dos to the hard drive. Got huge programs that won't fit on a floppy? Get an old dos based ethernet card and network it to your programing station. Lots can be done to upgrade these systems. Gotta love a PC based control. As for the Boss 8 control, it was a dedicated unit, upgrades are tough, but it can be linked to DNC with a RS232 line.

roodvoets: If you are still having problems geting data to your Boss 8, I can tell you how I have been doing it for the last 20 years or so on my V2E2 with Boss 8 control on it. It's only for downloading program to Boss 8 and will not work with DNC, but it's fairly easy.

roodvoets:
The last post is probably a better bet, seeing as he has been doing this for 20 years.... But,I helped a guy fight with his R2E3 as well. I ended up writing a 'the idiots guide to getting this thing to run' for him. I can probably dig it out for you.

Alan

Back