What's new
What's new

How do the Somma Broaches work?

doug925

Titanium
I am considering purchasing a Somma Broach for some brass shcs we make on the cnc lathe. We only do maybe 100 pcs. per yr, but I am thinking of other parts that could benifit form this. I emailed Somma, to no avail. (I hate that!!! Why have an email address if you will not answer emails?!!) How much does the broach holder cost? How much do the broaches run? Most importantly, how the hell do they work??? What does the cutting action? Any advice, or answers? Thanks Doug.

I am considering purchasing a Somma Broach for some brass shcs we make on the cnc lathe. We only do maybe 100 pcs. per yr, but I am thinking of other parts that could benifit form this. I emailed Somma, to no avail. (I hate that!!! Why have an email address if you will not answer emails?!!) How much does the broach holder cost? How much do the broaches run? Most importantly, how the hell do they work??? What does the cutting action? Any advice, or answers? Thanks Doug.

The broaching is done with the spindle turning as the holder spins as well. The cutting action comes from movement in your Z axis. The edges of the broaches are sharp. They push into soft material very well. The hole size matters, obviously. I've used Slater and Somma, not much difference. Used to do a bushing with a shear point in hardened steel, and found out the hard way that the shear undercut needed to be done after broach....:crazy:

Back