What's new
What's new

Hardinge Slant Bed

surplusjohn

Diamond
I have available a SB3GN Hardinge slant bed with a GN6 control, 1983, 10 hp, with a bar feed and tooling. Looks good except it needs new spindle bearings. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

For some reason pre 1989 Hardinge CNC lathes have a slightly negative reputation...don't know why really...heck, maybe crappy spindle design, hence bad bearings ? Anyway, my impressinon is that it would be a hard sell unless dirt cheap. Now your gonna ask me how cheap is dirt cheap, aren't you ?
smile.gif

Hardinge had an unfortunate flirtation with the AB8200 control on the Superslant model. It was a quality control nightmare, hence the reputation. Superslants suffer from the same problems any DC drive machine has, namely brush dust and oil contamination. The machines with GN6 (Fanuc 6) controls are decent machines if kept maintained and run regularly. Don't let them sit for weeks and then expect to fire up and go. The spindle cartridges usually run for many years and can be rebuilt. Hardinge has high repair cost since these machines are well past their prime. The control and drive boards can be repaired at a reasonable cost, depending on where you send them. What type of barfeed is it, the air feeder w/black tube? Resale is generally in the 5-20K range but with a bad spindle you'll have to give it away. Good luck!

A lot of people seem to like those old air barfeeders, especially for the older screw machines. You might be able to sell off the bar feed separately. Cost on rebuilding the spindle cartridge is not too high ($2000) and it might be worth it to sell the machine for more than scrap rate. Also, you can market the drives and control to surplus dealers. There are a ton of Siemans servo drives and Fanuc 6 controls out there.

I believe the biggest problem with the Superslants that I know of is the main drive motors. They were a weak design as I understand.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back