What's new
What's new

BALLSCREWS

eddiez

Plastic
YCI Supermax Z axis vertical knee mill.
Replacement or good repair house for fast turn around. Part number or mfg. if anyone knows.

I'm getting ready to put two new ballscrews in my wire EDM. Are ballscrews rebuildable? What is the process? Is the cost reasonable?

Cost to rebuild is about half of new. I always used Barnes Industries and found their no. It's 248-541-2333. I have used them several times in the past and have never had a problem. They know ballscrews. Also, replace the thrust bearings. Hmmmmm, did you check for axial play on that ballscrew? Most times, the thrust bearings go out before the screw unless the screw was contaminated with dirt. Sure sign of a bad screw is black oil on it. Use a indicator on the end of the screw and see if the screw is walking back and forth. Don't know what is acceptible on a EDM machine, but anything over .0005 on a CNC mill has me taking a closer look. Good luck. Bill

In the X axis I have .0008" backlash. I tested the thrust bearing endplay and could not see any play. This machine uses grease for lube. I bought it used and I believe the wrong grease has been used. I bought a Lube pump and will be installing it to lube the screws. I'm still curious what is done to the used ballscrews to rebuild them.

Steve, just a thought, and I never work on wire machines but they use the same technology as a cnc mill. A wire cuts with very little force inputted to the slides, look up your backlash compensation parameters and add the 0.0008 to the value allready in there. Retest for accuracy and adjust as needed. Thats what cnc controls are really good at, compensating for geometrical errors and slop in the screws. On a maching center with the high cutting forces, you can only go so far before you have surface finish problems, but your machine probably has linear slides and this may fix your problem with zero cost. I think your auto lube system is not a bad idea, just turn it way down low. Bill

I found the web page for Barns Industial. www.barnesballscrew.com They have plenty of excellent information about ballscrews. I'm convinced that the wear on by EDM ballscrews is from lack of lube. Thanks for the tip Bill.

Back