What's new
What's new

Question about a new HAAS.

Patriot-mfg

Plastic
Hi guys, I posted a while back about the Hardinge built Bridgeport VMCs. Well after looking around I have decided to buy a new HAAS VF2. I like both Bridgeport and Hardinge as a company but right now the machine I was looking at is made in Taiwan and while they do make some in NY (the blue and red striped machines) they are out of my budget and a lot more machine than I need.

My question is: HAAS likes to bundle the transmission unit with their machines. My use for this machine will mostly be a glorified Jig Bore. I’ll do some milling but I don’t see any need to run any large bits. Am I correct in my thoughts that I won’t need this option?

Thanks for your time.
Ed

Ed

I'd say there are a great number of machines out there without the gearbox. Willing to bet that most VF1-s and 2-s, perhaps even 3-s are sold without it.
It certainly is a nice thing to have on nasty stuff, but in no way essential if your expected work is more of a smaller or hole variety.
Unless you're gonna be dealing with bigass insert drills, counterbores, porting tools in your jigbore operations, I'd say you're OK without it and spend the extra on other options, such as the MOM and the P-cool.
BUT! If you won't be machining considerable amount of Aluminum, then don't go the 10000RPM spindle, as your torque will suffer.

SD, thanks for the response, I believe I will do very little aluminum, my shop works mostly with D2, A2, and some M4. Are you saying that I shouldn’t get the 10,000-RPM machine? What is the other option? I do plan to get the P-COOL and also the Visual Quick Code Probing System with the tool-setting probe, and work offset probe. As for MOM I have no idea what that is.

Thanks
Ed

I think its nice to have a gearbox on the HAAS machines. For tapping 5/8-11 in steel and bigger it is a huge help. Sure you can theadmill. But sometimes you need to tap or drill a big hole. If you do get a gearbox make sure from time to time you change gears. I once ran a job for 3 months just using high gear. After that it didn't want to shift into low gear. He had to spend a couple hours to fix it. Now we don't have any issues.

Yes, gearbox is nice, but if he doesn't think he'll be using it that much, by all means.

MOM is Minimum Oil Machining. Cat's ass for tapping. Use instead of flood cooling for a tap and program it so there is a squirt every time the tool is at the R-plane. Makes tapping almost enjoyable.
You can also program it so there is X.XX seconds of squirt at every Y.YY second intervals. Good if you don't/can't flood the part, like a motor shaft I was drilling and cutting a flat onto.

When tapping D2 A2 M4 you will be limited on your tapping I made the mistake when I bought my first Haas I got a VFE it did't come with a gear box and I'm hard pressed to be able to tap over 1/2-13 tap in stainless steel in my opinion spend the extra it's worth it
Kevin

Back