What's new
What's new

hurco ultimax backlash

johnfly

Aluminum
i run a bmc 30 and it has .003 slack in the x axis. not that big a deal until the tolerance is +- .001 then it sucks.lol
is there somewhere you can enter the backlash in the control??? if so where???
also any comments on the older bmc 20
looking to purchase for my home shop
smile.gif

John
I believe that there is a method of doing it in the control, but I don't know how.
Are your Y axis gibs loose (causing x axis move ?)
I think a KM3 would be better than a BMC for a home shop, unless you need the size and can handle the weight.
I have seen 30's but not 20's ????
KM3 is same size as a BOSS 1 BridgePort.
Also you want a Ultimax 2 or 3 control if possible
the KM3 weighs about 3,000#.
I run mine on single phase on the control and 3 phase convertor for the spindle drive

sure dont on the boss. I am currently running a hurco mI and occasionally a bmc30
with a ultimax controll with dual screen. I was reading the manuall on the mI in respect to backlash and it said to change the pins on the interface board ????
hmmmmm i guess i will have to investigate that monday.
I am also looking into purchasing a kmbI hurco for my home shop these are awesome machines that are so simple to program. No g/m code at all all conversational or just pick an option and fill in the blanks ie. select bolt circle give it the radius and the number of holes and your done.simple....
the ultimax will even draw the tool path so u can see what its going to do before it does it but those are around 10k and higher
anyone have any comments on the hurcos.good or bad.or other machines that have conversational type prog.

Bryan
No, I haven't run a Boss 8
Just New bridgeports with Boss 9, old bridgeports with EZ Path and Haas VF (VMC)

Johnfly
I have a Hurco with Ultimax II at home and it is so much easier to run then any of the others in my estimation.
The main reason is "logical layout of control"
I think the others take a lot of time for a machinist to "remember" where the next screen is to use, or the proper steps to follow to write a program or run it.
Watch guys do it on a control and they seem to be all over the keyboard or screen in order to input the information.
With Hurco , when you fire up the machine it tells you to reference it ("Home" to some folks)and if you start from scratch, you need to answer 3 questions: Tool,part location (0 point), and Program. As you hit each one, the necesary screen comes up. simple right.
Then as you write the program, you can see the cutter path on the other screen WITHOUT leaving your program screen..no one does that.
Lastly it supplies the math. say you want to cut a rectangle which has 4 corners with different radiuses in each corner.
If you put in the centers and radiuses first, then say you want a straight line, it will place the lines on the tangent points immediately between the radiuses...no math.
Or give it 3 oblique lines and tell it you want certain radius(s) at intersections and it does it..no arc centers required etc.

The one difference from Hurco is that they do not have a MDI (manual data input)as all other controls have...but it is so simple to write a program, i guess you don't need MDI ....just use jog for manual cuts.

I have owned 2 Hurco's: an SM1CNC with BX controls and now have a KM3-P with a single screen BX control (one of a very few made). I can get along pretty good with these machines and have found help to be readily available from AMTS and CMC Systems. There are other independents skilled and readily available to service these machines as well. So far, I have been able to do everything I need using the conversational programming, but am looking at DNC and some type of CAM program.

We have a couple of Hurco techs that visit the board and I have seen reference to some of these secret screens before. Do any of you know how I can obtain the documentation for this type of "secret" knowledge for the older BX controls? I can't imagine it would still need to be "secret" since Hurco doesn't service or repair the older mills such as the ones I have had. They refer you to Midwest CNC or some other independent. I have virtually every type of document available including board schematics, but don't have some of the information that is referenced here and there.

Back