What's new
What's new

Help: Low battery - Loss of memory

mikel

Plastic
I have a Cintimatic, model 5VC-750. And when I try to power it up the first part of the machine comes on but the display reads Low battery Loss of memory. The machine will not clear this nor will it go any farther. I checked volage at the mem board and I get the 12 volts. Found a bad fuse to the charger and replaced it. BATM seems to be working fine now but I still get the same massage. Does anyone have any ideas.
Thanks Mike

Yes it's the 900 and that's what I was thinking too. Only problem is the tape reader isn't working, I keep getting load error 1 (data transfer) every time I try and run the tape. I guess it back to the manuals. LOL Thanks for the help
Mike

I have that same model. I have gotten that all too often. My CNC repair guy finally found an outlet for the replacement batts finally. They have not been available from Cinci for yrs, and last he checked he couldn't find them offered otherwise either. But he picked some up for me about a yr ago?

Even with good batts, I don't think that control will hold the memory for much over 6 hrs. !!! Just before he found the batts, I had just bought a good sized UPS to hook inline to the batt charger. I hadn't got it hooked up yet before he told me that they were available. So, I have brought my UPS in the office and run my cordless phones and answering machine off of it now.

If you run long programs, and (like me) enter them by hand, the UPS might be a good idea.

The "Books" that you need is the Technical Assistance guide. Publication #7-000-0439 AA. That will give you the road map to install your tapes. Maybe you didn't flip the Stop/reset/IPL switches when you tried it?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

New batteries on the BATM only last for about 6 months, and when new only hold data for about 2-3 hrs for me.

I found the batteries at the following distributor:

Battery Specialties
3530 Cadillac Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA
714-755-0888

Since then, I stopped replacing them and hooked up a UPS. I cut into the yellow wires that feed the control and installed a 110v plug, then hooked that to a common UPS from Staples. For the last 6 years, I've had zero data loss problems from power outages. Plus you can cut the power to the transformer so you don't have to listen to the hum all day.

Check all the fuses to the tape reader first - that's usually what caused reader problems for me. By the way, I have a spare BTR for a 900 control I'd like to sell - makes loading the exec tapes a lot easier.

I have looked at the BTR's before. But how did you get the info from the tape to a disk?
I talked with Cncinnati parts today and they don't have them, all they could do is give me another number to call. I'm still not sure what is wronge with the machine but it all points to the tape reader. How much you want for the BTR?

OX:
when your tape reader loads the tape does it spin the tape half the speed of fast forward (fast) my lathe feeds slow. Also do you know what the dip swithes on the back for the reader are set at, someone else has been working on the problem and has things apart.
Thanks Mike

[This message has been edited by mikel (edited 05-21-2003).]

Mikel - I sent my exec tapes to the BTR supplier to be copied onto disc - I understand that anyone with a tape reader can do that.

My BTR came from Highland DNC. It has 256K memory, so it can store and run a 256K program or drip feed a larger one from the PC's hard drive. It cost me $2400 in '92 - I'll sell it for $500. Email me at jmagee(at)comcast.net (change the (at) to @) if you want more info about it.

Back