What's new
What's new

Haas VF1, tool release piston pneumatics -question

sudtechcnc

Cast Iron
Haas VF1 ( without through spindle coolant)

when you look at the TRP from the front with the cover removed during a tool change, there are two airlines leading to the piston, the leftside tube comes from the tool release solenoid valve, whats the function of the right side air tube?

( I was getting some tool drop problems, couldnt figure it out .. then I found that air was being supplied to the piston from the right side tube even before the shuttle got to the spindle ...

So I just tried it without the right side air supply ( yanked it out). and it works fine !!

only point is that the right side tube pumps compressed air into thin air during tool change.

Now what the hell is the air supposed to be doing which its not doing now ??!

Thanks for any tips

MJM

I would be damn upset if my machine ever dropped a tool.

First, ensure that you are using the correct retention knob, and that the toolholder lugs are properly aligned with the carousel, both in height and in rotary orientation.

To actually drop the tool, the drawbar has to be somewhat lower than it normally should be, in order that the retention balls can fall back far enough to release the knob on the tool.

It might be worthwhile removing the drawbar to see what condition the springs are in, and to see how the ball retainer looks. But before that, try prying on a toolholder flange with a tool clamped in the spindle, to see how much resistance you can feel. You can move a tool this way if you use a long prybar, but it should take a bit of a pull to do so.

There is also a big writeup in the manual about resetting the distance between the TRP and the drawbar. Might want to browse through that to see if things seem to be in spec.

That fitting that looks like a T is actually a pneumatic shuttle valve. I had to replace one on my VF-2 once. I don't recall the exact purpose it has, but your problem sure sounds like a valve isn't working right.

Thanks mike ,Hfd and 779

I hadn't had the manual earlier ,( i had only the operator manual)
I have now gone through soft copy .(Haas gave me a CD only now)
It appears I need to do the shimming again...

from what i figured out...the right side line is the one that supplies the air to the piston only for the approach. it is regulated low enough only to touch the top of the draw bar but not to push it.

this is termed precharge ( if we have through- spindle- coolant then this makes contact continuously with the drawbar while the spindle rotates ) .(this is not mentioned anywhere buts it what I figured out...I hope I'm not too far off the truth..))

but I cant figure out what purpose it serves on the machine without the TSC.

The manual says it dampens the jerky action of the tool change .

I am getting a bit of a jerk on the piston during the action. I 'm getting it fixed tomorrow by Haas
But I cant stop the machien.....

HFD would you please read it . and let me know what you think. I may be missing something...
( Ive gone through it quite a few times actually...)

Huflung

I was searching the net (google ) for more details about Haas spindles and it threw up your fairly detailed procedure about your cartridge spindle way back in Jan 2006.
Some body was asking you about pictures .
did you ever get around to posting any pictures of that project..

If so,would you please let me in on it ??

Thanks
MJM

Back