What's new
What's new

ATTN: HAAS TECHS, TL-1, SPINDLE SPEED

Interpolate

Aluminum
Not a technical geek so someone set me straight if I am way off here.
I have a HAAS TL-1, which has maximum spindle of 1800 RPM. I can see in the parameters there are settings for max spindle speed, feeds, etc...
If I alter these settings to anything greater I don't get any noticeable results.
Isn't the motor and drive capable of greater speeds than the factory 1800 RPMS? As well as the feeds?
What is the limiting factor here? The motor, pulley, drive?
I have some small work I would like to do with higher RPMS.
What I was thinking is that there might be a combination of other settings that also need to be changed. If tweaking these settings is even at all possible???
Figured I could get more spindle speeds by just increasing the motor pulley size. It does look standard.
The rapids would be awesome to speed up. 200 IPM is a bit slow sometimes.
Thanks,
DJ

DJ, are you really taking .112" per rev?
@ 1800 rpm x .112= 200 ipm!!!
That is HUGE for a lathe!
I cannot help with the spindle rpm's, but on my machines it is just a parameter adjustment.
Best of luck,
Doug.

That FEED should have said RAPID. TYPO!
Not feeding at 200IPM!
I am more concerned about how to increase the spindle speed.
Can either one of you guys answer any of those questions about what is actually limiting the spindle to 1800 RPM?
Thanks.

i am not sure. some machines have safety precations that wont allow it to go any faster. have you tried lowering the max rapid setting to see if it does anything?

The machine likely has a variable frequency drive on it. There is most likely a parameter cap on the maximum frequency that it will output, and this would limit the motor speed to a certain maximum, regardless of any increase you try to enter in the max rpm parameter.

Make sure to be safe. Check that your chuck will operate safely at higher rpm. Never run over the chucks rated rpm.

The spindle on the TL-1 has a belt ratio of about 3:1 between the spindle motor and the spindle. Running the spindle motor any faster simply results in much less power. Changing the pulley would require a different length belt and would also result in lower power. More importantly, as HuFlung, pointed out is exceeding the max speed for the chuck.

Scott

I'm always careful. My chuck is rated to 3100 RPM. Actually the application I have in mind will use a 5C collet nose and closer. I'd like to at least double the current RPM to 3600 RPM
So what you guys are suggeting is that there is some sort of embedded limiter that is unchangeable??
Something worth mentioning is that the spindle is driven by what appears to be the same type of brushless servo amplifier as the X and Z axis. Not a vector drive like I have seen on VMCs.
This got me to thinking that the params for "SPINDLE STEPS/REV" may also be controlling this.
Could someone educate me a little on how a servo driver is driving that spindle motor.

First off more speed is not going to exceed the capacity of my chuck. I am not talking about 10KRPM. I am thinking more along the line of 3000-3500RPM. I am using a collet nose for small work anyway.
Scott, I realize more speed means less power this is not what I am asking about.
Can it be done? And how do I do it?
The belt and pulley changeout is no big deal, easy enough. It would just be nice to be able to call it up from the control.
Scott, what about the rapids?? Can this be tweaked?

I don't think you want to mess with "steps/rev" because that is set so that the feedback is correct and so that the spindle synchronizes correctly for threading.

But, if it is a servo drive, I would think there would be a plain max speed parameter, in steps, but maybe they did hide it somehow.

Thanks for the info HU.
Pi, If I change the feedrate setting to something lower it has no effect.
I am hoping that Scott may be able to shed a little light on the situation. I believe he is associated with HAAS.
Thanks again.
Dj

Not all that familiar with that lathe but you need to check the spindle motor max RPM, what the spindle controller can put out and also what are the spindle bearings capable of handleing. Since it maxes out at 1800 RPM I'm thinking it has a decent size swing and largish bearings. Your looking to overspeed the motor by a factor of 2, if the controller can get up to that frequency you just might explode the motor, like in a run away situation. It has happened before. I thinks your playing with fire, talk to Haas first.
Bill

Thanks for all the input guys. I was able to pick up a larger pulley and belt.Pretty easy to swap out. Shes humming right along at around 3300 RPM. Running parts this evening into the weekend. If I could figure out how to increase the rapids I could shave off some cycle time. I need to get me one of them foot actuated collet closers and I can haul butt. Gotta do a thousand of these pieces.

Information

Hi NaturalPoint,

You might try sending Interpolate a private message. If he is still active on the forum he may answer. It is possible he didn't see your post.

Hope this was of some help.

Thanks for the suggestion HelicopterJohn, tried that already.

As seen on the Haas website, the lathe comes with a 3500 rpm option. To get the 3500, the enclosure option is required. This leads me to believe this is a liability issue. I am using a 5c collet, not a 8 inch chuck which needs more power to get up to speed and stop. I am cutting aluminum, horse power is not an issue. I think Haas simple changes the pulleys and adds a bigger motor and drive for the 3500rpm option. If I can buy a less expensive machine and modify it, for relatively low cost in dollars and time, to the capability of a high end machine within the safe operation range and limits to make parts to spec 50% faster then obviously I have made a good decision.

Back