What's new
What's new

cnc/manual lathe

I've got a Milltronics 1740 CNC/manual that I bought new about 3 years ago.Until I finally got the bugs worked out, it was a real nightmare. Bad headstock lubrication pump, Y axis servo motor, Y axis bearings,etc,etc.It was down more than running. Wanted them to take machine back because it was such a lemon. Milltronics refused, but "offered" to replace it for another $20,000. Yea right. Dealer was even worse. Promised to repair machine even though warranty was up, at no charge, then sent me a bill for $5700. Have to say though, its been running great for the last year and a half. Won't buy from them again though, just because they were such ***holes.

We recently added a 98 ezpath to our shop and have to say we are very pleased so far with the performance and versatility of this great machine tool. Any one who has ever run a manual lathe would really appreciate the features this tool offers.All of the accessories you ever wanted for your EE,hlv,or whatever is already there plus some extra stuff you never even thought about.We shopped around for over a year before finding the machine we have so my thought is there may not be that many out there for sale.We do have a person in the group with a 95 ezpath which could be for sale.You might want to contact the "metaldoc" and see if the machine he owns is still available.Or perhaps Don Thomas
at procyon. regards sasbenson

www.romi.com

They imported the Ezpath, they use a conversational fanuc control that has more features and is more reliable.....good luck.

We thank you kindly for the publicity, but why all the lies?

Originally posted by billetman:
I've got a Milltronics 1740 CNC/manual that I bought new about 3 years ago.Until I finally got the bugs worked out, it was a real nightmare. Bad headstock lubrication pump, Y axis servo motor, Y axis bearings,etc,etc.It was down more than running. Wanted them to take machine back because it was such a lemon. Milltronics refused, but "offered" to replace it for another $20,000. Yea right. Dealer was even worse. Promised to repair machine even though warranty was up, at no charge, then sent me a bill for $5700. Have to say though, its been running great for the last year and a half. Won't buy from them again though, just because they were such ***holes.

I have a Milltronics 20X60 lathe I bought as a 2 year old reposession about 7 months ago. We spent 3 weeks straightening out the effects of the rough treatment it recieved from the first owner. Since then it's been a blessing, and we love it. And we are quite impressed with Milltronics' support and tech help. Maybe Minnesota people are just nice, but I've rarely had such pleasant and helpful people on the other end of the phone line. The factory even talked me out of buying one of their refurbished machines and into one from an independent dealer, because it was better suited for my needs. The iron is obviously Tiawanese import, but fairly good nontheless. The control is very good. And we are turning to ±.0002 on diameters.

[This message has been edited by Mudflap (edited 11-14-2002).]

Originally posted by billetman:
Dealer was even worse. Promised to repair machine even though warranty was up, at no charge, then sent me a bill for $5700.

So when the original dealer wouldn't help you after the warranty had expired and we did, it became our responsibility to pay for all those parts and the time to install them? Would you have eaten the bill if the roles had been reversed?

Have to say though, its been running great for the last year and a half.

So obviously somehow the initial failures of the original dealer were resolved so that you had a good machine capable of making your products...by someone who didn't make one penny on the original sale or the service after the fact...

Won't buy from them again though, just because they were such ***holes.

So let's see... after taking on a line that was being handled poorly by a previous dealer, all of your issues were resolved, the machine runs great for the past 1.5 years, and we're jerks for doing it? That would be like you fixing someone else's product you didn't machine originally, sending a bill for your work, then getting called names because they thought they shouldn't have to pay you for your effort. I'm not knocking your opinions on your machine, you're entitled to them, but to resort to name calling of the people that fixed your problems for you... that's really kind of low in my book. What does that say for the credibility of your other opinions?

And what machine would you replace it with that would be easier to program and operate than a Milltronics control? And run on single phase without a converter? And fit in your shop space requirements? And deal with all the buffing dust created by your other work? And work in 95+ degree environments without A/C? And be supported by what others have said (although I agree) is one of the best tech support departments in the business? Please.... do expand on this for the benefit of the class.

Oh, and on the original question -
Looking for info on these type lathes. EZ-Path types, sizes and prices. Any recommendations appreciated

Both the Bridgeport EZpath and Milltronics ML series are excellent choices. The only problem is support now of the EZ series due to the demise of Bridgeport. If you have a dealer capable of servicing the equipment, either is a good choice, and they both have pro's and con's. Obviously the EZPath will have to be lower price to be competitive, due to the lack of support it now enjoys. But I like them both, and in seven years have never made a mechanical repair of a EZpath that wasn't operator induced (boring bar in chuck, etc.)

-MC
www.SilverHorseRacing.com

[This message has been edited by SilverHorseRacing (edited 11-15-2002).]

I have a 1840FCL Chevalier lathe with an Anilam 1200T
control. I also had a Pragati 8 station turret installed on it. I have had it for about 3 1/2 years and have had very little trouble, The Chevalier sales co, is top notch and the Anilam control is both conversational or G-code programmable.Anilam has been very helpful in debugging any programs and and machine questions. The lathe I have is a flatbed but it has been replaced by a slant bed maqchine this vear and is supplied with a turret. They have a great website www.chevalierusa.com . Used models like mine are available from machinery dealers also starting around $28,000.

Back