What's new
What's new

Haas TM-1 and ridgid tapping

mike57

Plastic
We did not order rigid tapping with the machine.
I programmed a 10/32 tap using Mastercam X and transfered the code to the machine. I also turned the tapping switch ON (on the Haas settings). It looked like it worked. Can anyone explain what we would be paying for buying ridgid tapping?

Thanks

Not totally sure but I believe someone on CncZone said that the VF and SL series machines come standard with it but not the TM series.Matter of fact we have a TM-1 and it doesnt have Rigid Tap it's an option.

I believe all Haas mills come with the rigid tapping mode. If you don't pay for it you can use it for I think 100 hrs, then it will no loger work.
If you only turn in on when you want to use it you can use it for quite a while free before it times out

I've just purchased a TM2 which will be delivered next week, but reading some of what's in these posts is causing some concern.
I'm reading the latest Toolroom machine specs as provided by Haas UK, as I write this and it definitely says rigid tapping is standard on TL series lathes. It is NOT standard on the TM series mills however.The Haas rep also confirmed this when questioned last week.

My TM-1 has 200 hours (I think) that can be turned on and off as needed, or you can pay some money and it gets turned on forever.

Honestly, I have never turned mine on... I have mostly only very small holes (M2) to tap, but it would be good for M6 fixture holes and such... I must find the the time to try it out!

Ok, according to website.
TM, TL and Mini - Rigid tap is a $1039 option
All others: Standard.

Pricey a little, well yes. It can be had as part of a VOP for far far less, but that means get it when ordering the machine.
I'll bet your dealer would be willing to cut the price decently though. They do not have the option-unlock codes, but I think options are where they have the wiggle room for price, not on the machine base price.

What does haas have to do?? Turn something on or off on the settings. then charge 1 grand to keep it on. sounds fishy!!!

You're quite correct Mike but almost all new machine tools come with the "software options" already in place and lacking only the unlock codes and /or key disc to make them available.
This is common practice and it was once suggested by a large manufacture that we enable all options for a customer for one week-just to give em a taste and then turn them off again until payment was forthcoming!!!! Can you imagine I'd leave the building walking after that!. The guy having just parted with the thick end of 220k!

Mike

Fishy?
Try this. Fanuc charges $1595 or so for the 14.5" LCD screen with the Dynamic Graphics bundle.
My machine HAS the LCD but not the Dynamic Graphics.
They still want to charge the $1595, and had the balls to say that hardware replacement is necessary, which is the reason for the cost.
I know it's only a parameter, but can only be done by Fanuc-direct. Not even Mori can turn it on.

Back