What's new

coolant refractometer -- $200

• Thread starter atetsade
  • Start date
  • Replies 1
  • Views 1,653
A

atetsade

I have never used water based coolant before and I am wondering now how to maintain it.

I have a two pump fish aerator with two of those long green blocks and enough hose to put air through the coolant when I'm not using it. I believe this will prevent stale and rancid coolant.

What is of more concern to me are the box ways of the lathe. I would like to know how to keep the detergents from attacking the way oil. How do I do this?

How do I keep the coolant mix ratio constant? I would like to have an instrument to measure the concentration, is a refractometer the only way?

Is coolant pH level important, and is litmus paper enough to measure it with?

The coolant and machine will see a lot of use and I'd like to know how to keep the fluid in good service condition.

Erik

A refractometer is the best way to monitor coolant concentration. However, you should be able to find a refactometer for a little over $100.00. I tend to run my concentration a little on the heavy side to make sure I do not have corrosion problems. We run trim E206 coolant in our CNC machines & E210 in our grinders. The coolant has a very good life span, we change our coolant less than once a year.
As far as tramp oil goes, we run an oil skimmer on a timer at night on one end of the coolant tank. On the other end of the tank we use an aerator in order to keep the tramp oil moving towards the skimmer. You should start your skimming after the machine has been idle several hrs. in order to allow the oil to seperate from your coolant.
After we skim the oil/coolant off we have a 55 gal. drum upside down with a spicket on the bottom. We dump our skimmings into the drum. After it has settled for a few weeks you can recover a large portion of clean coolant through the spicket.

Back