What's new
What's new

HAAS TL-3 That Is! ???

Ox

Diamond
Chumms are lookin' at one.

Not sure what toolpost to go with.

The HAAS site doesn't even show a pic of the $10K 8 position turret option. Anyone got one (with pics of course...)? The only TL's that I have seen just had the Aloris type post. I have to winder how handy the turret would be for manual applications?

I know that there have been quite a few TL 1 and 2 threads. Not sure I recall seein' much on the bigger ones.

Also - lookin' at the option list I didn't see anything aboot the "thread pick-up" or whatever it is known as. ??? That IS a HAAS feature aint it? Is it standard on these or what?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

[ 11-08-2007, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Ox ]

TM series are mills. TL series are lathes.

Can't answer your question but maybe change the title to TL and see if someone bites.

Dave

Yeah - That'd be a swell idear eh?

Anyone else?

Sorry - kant view the vid on dial-up, but chumms doo have hi-speed...

Heck - I aint even had audio on this machine in yrs. LOL!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox, I dont have the tl3, I have the tl1 and it does have the feature you have discribed but I havnt used it yet. It should just simulate the way you would do it on a manual lathe. If I had a chance I would look into the 4 possition tool post that is available. You wont be able to do every operation with just 4 tools but you can put the most common ones on there.

For a lathe the size you are looking at I would seriously see if you can back mount tools on the tool slide. This would allow for two tool posts, a 4 way on the back side and a standard alloris type on the front for tools that are not commonly used. I think the tl1 is too small for this but the larger machine might be able to handle it.

Charles

I have a TL-2, I just use the quick change because of very low volume. If you want a tool changer you should get the fully enclosed machine otherwise you will have a big coolant mess for short production runs.

One more thing to consider. On my TL-1 it doesn't really have any nuts until over 250 rpm. The no gearbox thing makes it weak. The TL has trouble with larger steel parts. Load meter is sometimes at 200% and I can see the spindle slow a little when entering cuts. I replaced a 15" clausing geared head machine with the TL. The TL has no torque compaired to the old Clausing at low speeds :( I think the TL3 W or Big bore are the only two with a gearbox.

Back