What's new

Mold Creating? which machine?

• Thread starter klee8581
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 3,302
K

klee8581

I need a machine/mill capable of taking a 3d cad model of a car body kit (front bumber) and turning it in to a mold for fibreglas. is there a machine capable of this? like a cnc with a large bed? can anyone recommend a machine? also the dimensions of the kit are 24"h x 5'w x 24"d at most.
any help is appreciated thank you

kevin lee

You should be able to make it in sections on a CNC, but from the sounds of it you'll still need a rather large one, something with a 40 x 20 x 20 envelope or so. Sounds rather costly though, hope it's worth it.

Brian

A nice, GIGANTIC, 5-axis C.N.C. machining center would get the job done in no time.
But, the question is, where can you get your hands on one?
And, who's gonna write the program?

Go to www.imtainc.com

Take your pick Rambaudi or Huron is what you'll need. 3-axis is Huron. Rambaudi is good at 5-axis. IMTA is the importer for all of these machines. They have a facility in Chicago that also does overcapcity work for customers if your interested in outsourcing it instead of making a $600-800,000 machine investment. They also make a machine called a Powermill that would work. It's a bridgemill. All of their machines are for high speed machining. They have examples at www.highspeedmachining.net

If your just making a couple send it to them and it should be cost effective.

Good luck.........

The contact there is Mike Reese.......

Rambaudi! Good to hear they are still around. I used to use a manual Rambaudi when I was an apprentice, it was a good mill. I was the only person who liked it though, others preferred Bridgeports. It was a bit heavier than BPs, "proper" power feeds and rapids on 3 axis, x-axis was a hand wheel on the front of the table, rather than on the ends like BP. Had ancient optical scale system.
Sorry, not relevant to topic, but haven't heard of Rambaudi for years.

Very much around and very high tech.......

It's amazing to watch the change in machine tool companies.......

Have a nice day.......

Back