What's new
What's new

Mazak lathe tailstock barrier use?

D. Rey

Titanium
How do I use the "tailstock teach" function on a T2 lathe control?

I've tried setting it at 0, and moving the tool tip here and there, resetting. Everytime I do I seem to make the machine think that the tailstock is 15 feet long and get constant alarms.

There is NOTHING in the operator manual about how to use this function. Nice.

Anyone know?

On our slant turn 40 when you get thru moving the tailstock to position needed. You unlatch the locking pin and push teach. By doing this it teachs the "machine positon" diminsion measured from the chuck. By putting "0" in the tailstock block it thinks that the tailstock is next to the chuck. What does your graphics look like when you do this? If your graphics do not look correct you have not taught something correctly. All things such as chuck data, tool data, tail stock data, chuck barriers all must be taught correctly or you are setting yourself up for a carsh. you can always run with the "barrier cancel" BUT you better be sure everything is correct. :(

Oh I'm not running anything until I get all of this straight, I'm not in any hurry. Baby steps are fine.

So I set the tail where I want, hit "tail barrier teach" and then "input"?

No numbers go in there?

I'll try that....

Appreciate the response

Dave

Nope does not work.

My machine has a manual tail stock carrage. The tail piston is what moves(only). There is no readout of position for this.

I'm guessing that the tail barrier has something to do with the position of the turret in z or x, I don't know what this relationship is.

Dave,
Are the barriers a function of carriage and cross slide position? Move the carriage and tool slide as close as you dare to the tailstock, then teach these positions?

Nope tried that, I get "tail barrier" alarms every where. That's the way I figured it worked, put the turret close to the tail and say "don't go any further than this. Can't move the turret anywhere without the alarm.

Must be some other way.

On the program file page do you have a space to intput tailstock information? Are you looking at the space on the command page to input something refering to the tailstock? Do you see the tailstock displayed in graphics on a simulation page? ON our slant turn 40 you have space on command page to teach a distance from chuck to moveable tailstock. You also must input how far the pistion is extened out of tailstock on the program file page. I will send you more information from work in the a.m. about setting our tail stock. Might help then again might confuse you even more. Check your operation manual about the display of screen for the command page and see what it says about the space for tailstock.

Nervis, we have a '98 with an M+, I know its not the same controller, but on the position screen there is a button for "barrier cancel". It just shuts off the tailstock barrier limits, good to go, just don't run into the tailstock. I've never bothered to try and reset the barrier limits, I just shut it off.

Yep thank god you can cancel the barriers. I would be dead in the water if not.

I don't know if I'll use them or not...just want to know how in case I do.

it may be that you need to move the tailstock to where you want it measured,bring your tool up to contact it ,press teach then input 0.

have you got a parameter book
maybe the tailstock is described poorly
i've got the same machine as you here
i can get an application boy to explain.
if you want you can call 847-885-8311
ask for application
just don't tell them your not chicago area
i've got parameter books for your machine
if you need them
get used to calling mazak
they have great support

Back