What's new
What's new

Mazak tapping

OKIEMACHINIST

Aluminum
We have a Mazak VTC 16B and have nothing but sure hell trying to rigid tap with it. I tried everything we knew. On our Haas they would tap beautiful and the Mazak it would bust the taps. I found that the Mazak's Spindles do not stop as quick and reverse quick enough and causes the taps to break. We finally found a few tricks to get better productivity out of our tapping on our Mazak.
1) slow the SFM down. do not go over 25 SFM
2) in the tool data change tool to rigid (it is usually set as default as floating)
3) Change the spindle retract rate to 50%-- this is alos located in the tool data page.

You've got something funny going on there if you can't tap on that Mazak at more than 25sf. Something is definately out of whack. Never had a problem with a VTC 16 thats over 10 yrs old even and can tap at 3000+ rpm. You've got an isolated event that needs some adjusting... its not a Mazak thing....

:D

I used to run a Mazak VTC20B, and we broke lots of taps. But the thing was, they almost always broke on the way OUT of the hole. We mostly did rigid tapping, but had floating holders and did try them with no improvement. We were using Clearedge coolant in there, and it just didn't seem to have enough lubricity. I believe the taps were over-riding chips on the way out, galling up, and that was all she wrote. On through holes I got somewhat better results by running the tap much deeper than normally needed, to try to get the chips to drop off or wash out before reversing. But lots of times I just stopped the machine and dabbed on some cutting oil out of a nut can -- high tech, it was.

Back