What's new
What's new

Mazak TQ-8 SP

Natchamp

Aluminum
hey guys,

Anyone have direct experience with the early (ie; 1987) Mazak QT-8 sub spindle machines? I am looking at an 1987 unit. The salesman is telling me that the sub spindle on these machines never worked at all. He says even Mazak says that the sub spindles never worked and they simply “blew them out” to people with the understanding to never consider using the sub spindles. This seems a little odd to me.

This particular machine is still with the original owner and still running. It was purchased new and the guy is telling me the owner never even tried using the sub spindle because Mazak told him not to even try.

Is it true that the sub spindles on these machines are complete junk and a waste of time? Thanks for any info!

Mark

That looks to be a fat steaming line of BS to me.

What machine tool maker is going to put a subspindle on a machine and not have it be functional?

Probably explains the price of the thing. Have you spoken to the machine owner? That might clear things up. Could also call Mazak direct and get the scoop.

While i dont know about the machine your talking about, i can tell you that we have a 1997 SQT15MS and the sub-spindle is almost useless. All its good for is facing off parts. A .05 turning cut will slow the spindle down. Also the spindle tube is blocked off so you cant swallow any parts longer than about 4 inches.

Still like the machine though

Sounds like a complete load of dung to me too. I certainly have never heard of such a thing before anywhere. According to this guy, the sub spindle was so useless and non-functional, Mazak told the customers to just consider the machines a chucker and never even think of using the sub. That doesn't pass the smell test with me at all. Frankly, even "if" the thing would do nothing else except facing it would still be a very useful thing.

Hasn't anyone had any direct experience with these (specifically @ 87 vintage)?

Mark

Back