What's new
What's new

Mazak lathe file upload

D. Rey

Titanium
So I just got a Mazak lathe little QT-8 with a T2 control.

It has EIA/ISO, and a small floppy drive box (Mazak micro disk).

I find that the microdisk will not read a standard windows formatted floppy, and the PC will not read the floppy after being formatted by the Mazak micro disk.

Anyone know what I need to do to get a file from the PC then on the disk, in the microdisk, and to the machine?

What year is it? Could it be a CPM format disk? If so try this Link for different CPM formats that can be used on a PC.

use a dnc program.
cimco
camware
griffo
predator
solutionware

So just to be totally clear, format a disk in the Mazak microdisk machine, open up file in Cimco, send to Mazak floppy drive, and then take that out to the machine hook it up and it will transfer?

I keep reading in lots of different forums that I need some special CMT transfer program format.

Crud. I just tried to send a text file from hyperterminal and cimco to the microdisk. No luck.

I'm setting the microdisk to "in" then it goes into a wait mode.

I have it connected with the 25 pin connector and through a 9-25 pin adapter to the PC COM1.

Anyone ever use one of these Mazak microdik units and have a method that works?

I looked through the all of the manuals, only passing reference to the disk reader, no specific instructions.

You can connect the Microdisk to a PC, then use any Mazatrol CMT compatible DNC software to transfer the file. It will then be saved on a standard PCs disk, and you can transfer it to the CNC using the same DNC software.

cimco
camware
griffo
predator
solutionware

pi left two out on purpose:

PC-DNC Plus or PC-DNC Editor

If you get a bootlegged copy from pi's hub, then I won't have to support it.

Nervis, not being familiar with Mazaks of that vintage, did they have the conversational? If it does, and its even somewhat similar to what I'm used to('98 with a T+), then you are wasting your time trying to use G-code, you can get parts up and running so fast with Mazatrol, that often it would take longer to walk over to the computer to start coding it. I hated it at first, but once you get a taste of it, its so easy and fast, you just can't beat it. Very easy and quick to learn too.

Poking keys on the CNC control while the machine is sitting idle is also ignorant.

If you're not programming in the background or offline on a PC, you're wasting valuable machine time.

I've looked through the Mazatrol manual a bit, looks very easy to get up and running. I still would need to be able to save programs onto disk though.

Any limitations to Mazatrol, things it can't do or things to watch out for?

Dan, I'll agree, except that when your in a small shop environment, like I am and I'm pretty sure Nervis is too, better to be programming on the floor and keeping something else going or running the lathe and programming in the background. In a full on production shop, spindle time is incredibly important, in a small job shop, still important, but hopefully your not doing production runs were 10 minutes is the difference between profit and loss.

For a job shop Mazatrol on a lathe is about as good as you can get.

Nervis, there isn't a whole lot to watch out for. The biggest thing is don't think you have to lie to it, it really does know what its doing. I made that mistake early on and it just got me into trouble. As for saving programs offline, I haven't found the need to. Its so simple and quick to program that 90% of the time, I don't think its worth it. I wouldn't give up on trying to save them though, I'm sure it will come in handy.

Once you get comfortable with it, you'll never want to program a lathe with G-code again.

Dan,
Programming in the background is the main idea.
If you are programming offline on a pc for a Mazak, you are paying 2 guys to do the job of 1.

Poking keys on the CNC control while the machine is sitting idle is also ignorant
ever seen a mazak dan? you can program while running. since the eighties

Yes, yes pi. I've seen a lot more Mazaks than you. Been working in shops since the seventies.

How many operators actually do program in the background? The control may be able to do two things at once, but many operators still can't. Do a time study sometime and you'll see.

BobW is right though. Small shops don't worry much about the lost time.

jero100 has a good point, but there are many sides to that same coin: Why train each operator to program with Mazatrol when you can train one guy to use a CAM system for all your machines? In a shop with 10 machines, why buy 10 CAM systems and use each one 1/10th of the time? Why pay a programmer to run parts each machine? What happens to consistancy with your product line when a different operator is programming the same part each week? (etc. etc.).

Many larger shops I visit with Mazatrols program with G-code offline. Smaller shops running short production runs and prototypes seem to get the most out of the Mazatrol's CAM system because it's easy and fast on new setups.

The bottom line is this: If the part you're about to run has been run on this machine before, you shouldn't need to program anything. That's what "CNC" is all about pi.

Here's what I do.
Every machinist is trained to program Mazatrol from the print.
Every machinist can use our CAD/CAM system to gather dimensions not on the print.
Every machinist writes a setup sheet and downloads the program.
I believe relying on one person for CAD/CAM support is asking for trouble.....what happens on vacations, sickness, etc?
He could be recruited by another shop, die in a car accident......see what I mean?
There is nothing that can make a shop owners as frantic as losing his "go-to" guy.
Also I don't hire operators....I hire machinists. That way I don't have to have 1 guy doing tooling and fixturing also. Reducing the bottlenecks.

How many operators actually do program in the background?
every mazatrol programmer i met can.

Why train each operator to program with Mazatrol when you can train one guy to use a CAM system for all your machines
it's a waste of time for lathes. by the time the guy figures out what tools and setup the cam guy had in his mind he could of written his own program. lathe programs are too simple to waste the time of a skilled programmer.

In a shop with 10 machines, why buy 10 CAM systems and use each one 1/10th of the time
uhhh...because that system is standard on that machine.

Why pay a programmer to run parts each machine?
being able to make a simple lathe part does not give you the title of a programmer. just a glorified operator.

What happens to consistancy with your product line when a different operator is programming the same part each week?
uhhhh...save the program.

Many larger shops I visit with Mazatrols program with G-code offline.
i have only seen 1 shop do this. took them much longer than mazatrol programming

If the part you're about to run has been run on this machine before, you shouldn't need to program anything.
ever seen a new tool come into a shop? constant improvement is what cnc is really about D.A.N.

G-CODE PROGRAMMING ON A MAZAK IS A REDICULOUS WASTE OF TIME.

Back