What's new
What's new

Mazatrol and DNC

Bryan

Aluminum
I am looking for software to tranfer Mazatrol programs from a M32 control to a PC. I know it requires a special protocol. I do not need anything fancy. I simply need file transfer, no machine monitoring. What does everyone use? I want to get away from the Greco box and floppies. So far I seen several DNC systems that do it, but none are cheap. The cheapest I seen thus far was about $450.

The Mazatrol protocol is pretty special, and it takes some effort for software companies like ours to write that code. That's why it's not cheap.

If Mazak had their way, none of the DNC vendors would have any software available. Mazak has never published the protocol, and all the DNC companies who offer Mazatrol software have done it without Mazak's cooperation. That's not easy.

I seem to remember a cheap-o cassette recorder that Mazak offered for $2000 back in the 80's. That's why several DNC vendors tried so hard to offer an alternative. Our PC-DNC Editor does both G-code and Mazatrol for a list price of $595.00. If you want it for less, then make us an offer and we'll listen.

The link for a free demo copy is:
http://www.sub-soft.com/download/Editor_demo/setup_editor_3.4.0.exe

The operator's manual is at:
http://www.sub-soft.com/download/Editor_demo/PC-DNC_Editor_manual.pdf

Hey Pi how do you use hyperterminal to transfer an nc file? I saw that it will only accept .ht files, It would not allow me to open a .nc file.

You can download Mazatrol programs thru the hyperterminal or any other type of send/receive programs that hook thru the RS-232. But instead of the program being in "native" format, it just outputs in 3-digit g-code. You can freely send this back and forth to save/run programs.

And yes, you can edit these with any standard NC or text editor if you know what the codes are.
:D

psychomill: Only the later model Mazatrols will transmit a CMT file with the "Tape I/O" function using the 3-digit G-codes. The earlier Mazatrols will not.

Hey Pi how do you use hyperterminal to transfer an nc file? I saw that it will only accept .ht files, It would not allow me to open a .nc file.
select "send text file" and it will send them.

most people running mazak mills use g-code and not mazatrol.
cimco and predator also send mazatrol files. camware by mazak also works well.
pc-dnc is not the only software capable. all these packages are on my hub and membership for unlimited access to download all of them is less than what dan charges just for pc-dnc.

So ... Pi's little hub distributes pirated software huh? How much do you charge to be a member of your hub? What software do you have available? Ever hear about Federal Copyright laws, pi?

Sounds like a lawsuit in the making if you ask me. Be careful. A good lawyer can get treble damages plus all the money you've ever made from the hub memberships.

Butting in while drifting through the topics... in the mid 90's I almost went to work for a company in Corvallis Oregon that specailized in Mazotrol after market software... they did installs and such... don't know if they are still in business...

mazak has their own coms software for transfer and storage of mazatrol... can't do a damn thng with on the pc but at least you can save your data. Griffo is still in business I think...

So far I have the demo's for:
Dan's PC-DNC as linked above
ExtremeDnc
DNCMax5
Ezatrol

Thus far I am testing for GUI and ability to save to multiple directories. Haven't yet hooked up to the machine.

Opinions thus far:
Dan's seems easy to use and allows easy selection of file to send. Allows send and receive to/from multiple directories.
ExtremeDnc seems easy as well.
DNCMax doesn't seem to allow different store directories. I guess I'd have to save to one place and then use Windows explorer to put the file where I want it.
Ezatrol, it may work, but the GUI is terrible. It's written in VB6, wonder if they ever heard of the Common Dialog control, or that cancel means abort? Also, did they ever hear of HTML Help Workshop?

psychomill, how would I tell if my control has that option? For reference, I don't run the machine, I am just in charge of finding a way to eliminate the Greco box and floppies.

Also, even if I had the ability to send/receive with "Tape I/O" function, it wouldn't help me to reload all the programs I already have in "native" format, correct? I would still need a way to send CMT files, eh?

Bryan, The various DNC vendors all use different file formats for those Mazatrol CMT files. Some save them as pure binary files, others save them as hexadecimal numbers in ASCII. Some save the checksums in the file, some do not.

We've tried to write our software so most of the "Brand X" files can be sent OK to the CNC, but there's no guarantee that your CMT files would be compatible with our PC-DNC Editor.

Almost every week, we get a request from someone who has a bunch of Mazatrol CMT files saved by some obsolete DNC system, and we ask them to send us a sample of those files. Generally, we can make our software open and send those file formats. At the moment, I think we have about 95% of the "brand X" systems covered. If you have this problem, send us a couple of sample files and we'll work on it for you.

Dan has some good points there.

On top of that though, if you already have files saved in "native" format, then all you need to do is to send the programs back into the machine. Then when downloading them from the machine, just use the tape I/O to save. Now its in the 3-digit format. Its worked on everything I've run so far from M(T)32, M(T)plus, and Fusion. Its possible (like Dan said earlier) that the older controls won't output thru Tape. So I'm thinking this might be the case with the earliest versions of M32 and older (M1 and M2).

Used to use Griffo software years ago but got away from it (No real reason, Griffo is good stuff). So any programs we had still in native format, after it was loaded and ran, we just saved it as an NC file thru the Tape I/O. Mazatrol is way too easy to use and program to have to justify "offline" programming for us (and many other places I've worked at). Especially on lathes since you can probably program a dozen parts at the machine while you're running one. I don't care for Mazatrol on the mill so we don't use it there.

The test is simple. Just have them output the Mazatrol programs thru Tape I/O (be sure the settings are correct) and see what you get. If you get something that looks like a bunch of macro routines with 3 digit g-codes, it should be fine. Then to test that, just upload this program back into the control and see if the Mazatrol program looks correct.

DNCMax doesn't seem to allow different store directories.
sure it does.

please go ahead and file your lawsuit dan. lol. i'll keep everyone posted on what happens ;)

please go ahead and file your lawsuit dan. lol. i'll keep everyone posted on what happens
Now this statement has really perked my interest along with :-
pc-dnc is not the only software capable. all these packages are on my hub and membership for unlimited access to download all of them is less than what dan charges just for pc-dnc.
What exactly are you charging for? if its the free demo versions of the software, then I guess it would be classed as legal ,but taking advantage of someone who'll pay for free stuff,
Or are you distributing cracked or modified versions of commecial software for much less than the manufacture's price?

Speaking as someone who's creating DNC software to try and earn a few extra pennies, I'd advise you to think about what you are doing as creating
decent software is as hard, or harder sometimes than bashing bits of P20 tool steel with a blunt HSS end mill :eek:

Boris

<<crossing Pi off his list of people to ask to test his software :(

Back