What's new
What's new

Mazacam

alpha

Plastic
Does anybody here use mazacam or similar software to convert mazatrol prograns to g code. Any idea as to the cost of this or similar software? jim

yup
i assume you refer to solutionware's mazacam.
i used this a while ago. the $5000 solid verify was a waste of $4950.
i have also used griffo, camaix and camware (mazaks package). i would recommend camware first.
mazacam is an addon to geopath. the conversion in camware is much better. more mazak oriented programming. it even outputs the 3 digit g-code which is what mazatrol really is.

PI you seem to have researched or used these quite a bit. A while back I looked into some of these, one was Mazacam and I can't even remember what the other one was. One was the Griffo Bros which was 8k, which seemed like a waste to me since all it did was allow you to program offline, big deal, if I sat down for a couple of days I could probably program that in Basic.

The other one I had looked at seemed to me to be pretty cool, more of a full CAD/CAM that allowed you to generate g-code also. Using Mazatrol to program a Mori lathe seemed like a good idea. 8k also.

Any other suggestions on what would work best, and also what the advantages/disadvantages are.

i was one of the first users of camware. camware is mazaks own software. at that time it had sooo many bugs it was nearly useless. since then it has come a long way. camware is now my proference. many features including full cad drwaing. though it is in no way competetive with 3d packages it does real well will posting or converting 2-1/2d mazatrol code. once you verify a part you can make the nicest 3d pictures of parts i have ever seen. you can make a crome finished part with sky blue backgrounds and clouds. great for desktop images.
geopath was good for what it did (2-1/2d) but as i said, it is an addon to another package as is camaix. nothing fancy just mazatrol and iso output.
griffo is the closest thing you will come to a mazatrol control. very fast and user friendly. no cad is available. it does convert to g-code as an option. after a few hours of playing with it you will feel right at home.
camaix is a mastercam 3rd party company that has a mazatrol addon package. last i knew you needed to be able to read german to use it.
none of these packs are 3d, not even camaix. since mazatrol is only 2d it makes sense.
so here is my recommendation:
for lathe work the quickest thing is griffo. it is still faster to program at the lathe. one problem i had with griffo was their customer service. when i called to ask about a version upgrade they refused to answer questions about what the upgrade include until we paid the upgrade maintenance fee. that was the day we bought camware. one major drawback of griffo is since there is no cad you can't import any geometry files. maybe this has changed but after dealing with their customer service i dont care to find out.
when it comes down to features i would recommend camware by mazak. but if you are planning on programming mills get a real cadcam package instead.

i really just need the turning version, if one is available to convert mazatrol to fanuc.Do any of the software packages you mentioned offer a 30 day trial before having to part with $$ Jim

i have 100% operational camware on my hub but not the others. i have geopath but not the mazacam addon.
i am not sure what those companies offer

hub:
it is a central facility were many members unite (connect) to transfer files back and forth.

Just jumping into your discussion with alpha. I have got a newly installed integrex 200 II SY and I plan to do small dies and molds. Which CAD/CAM software will be most suitable for the purpose. My machine has mazatrol 640MT with EIA/ISO option. I am new to this and have very little idea what to buy or is it necessary at all.

Pi
"one major drawback of griffo is since there is no cad you can't import any geometry files."

Griffo has become much more powerful. I use their Geo entry, which is a basic cad package, to import complex geometry for lathes and mills. They also have a Solidworks module that lets you program 2-1/2axis work from Solidworks files. I had a web meeting with Mark at Griffo yesterday. He demonstrated their beta module for Integrex programming. It extracts data from a solid model in Solidworks, making complicated oblique machining quite simple.
You pay for every module, however, and they are not cheap.
If data saving is what some of you may be interested in, check out this topic:
http://integrexmachinist.com/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=5

Programming in mazatrol at the machine is really quite easy but lately I have had to work with electronic files and programming at the machine won't cut the mustard. I have used Mazacam in the past and found it to handle the things I needed it to.

It is really easy to use and I didn't need much training. The editor is just like the machine and the cad/cam allows me to work with the electronic files my boss gives me to work with.

I looked at camware but I could not program in maztrol and then I looked at griffo but I could not work with IGES files. My money goes to mazacam since it gives me the best of both evils.

One more thing... does anyone have a matrix? i am getting one soon and I'd like some feedback.

hi there everyone.
i have been register too this forum a long time but i fogot about it untill i started cleaning out my favorits out and i clicked on it.
but there was nothing about mazatrol talk back then ,,, i am glad there is some talk about this type of programing out there now.
i have just started learning about this type of programing at work.
the company i work for has mazak mills and leaths
is there any thing i can get too help me with this type of programing at home ???
i do not have any kind of excess too any of the books.
would love too get any help .
thanks

Let me know what you need and I might be able to help out. I have .pdf copies of the Mazatrol and EIA programming manuals for the Fusion 640 and probably the Matrix.

I'm trying to make peace with the Matrix control on our new Integrex 200-4S. As it turns out, parameters are a whole lot more important on this sucker than any machines I've run, but if you bother to look them up and set them appropriately you can make the machine do most of the things you want fairly simply.

I still prefer G code over Mazatrol by a long shot, but I must admit the ability to flash tools around is pretty convenient. I've never bother to try and use a boring bar as a turn and face tool before. With an Integrex for some ops, there's no reason not to.

Now if I can just make peace with these dang VNMG inserts in steel I'll be much happier...

Stu

hi there Stuart.
hey thanks .
i'll have too look and see what number the machine is i don't know if it is a fusion 640
or what it is,, i really don't work on them but i will find out thanks.

Back