What's new
What's new

Mazak QT-10 Turret ????

I owned a 1995 vintage QT10 and on that one the turret rotated and clamped via hydraulic motor/cylinder. Other than that I don't know the specific electrical string that got it to unclamp, rotate to specific tool position (via shortest path), and reclamp.

Please don't tell me he's trying to do this retrofit without the Mazak schematics ! :eek:

(having said that, I know Mazak schematics are awful...very difficult to read and interpret)

i like mazak prints
but that might be because that's all i really looked at for the first 10 years of wrenchin' machine tools.
you wanna talk bad docs
how about haas ...none
what control on this qt10?

i like mazak prints
I just hope they don't make the machines off of them, they are pretty bad, though everything you need is there, you just have to really really really look.

Zgoo, is this a retrofit because your friend came across a carcas? As far as I know, QT20, servo indexing, hydraulic clamping, I may be wrong, it works and makes money.

the qt10's i had were t2 vintage
turret was a geneva cam system driven by a gear reduced 100volt reversing motor
tool number was confirmed to nc by 3 prox (8 station) switches watching a drum working a matrix
LS.1.2.3
....1 0 1 = TOOL 1
....1 1 0 = TOOL 2
....0 1 1 = TOOL 3
plus one for clamp confirmation
and so on
decent system
weak link was the spline the shaft turret hung on
would wear, which would let turret over rotate and not clamp up
also female spline was held in turret by "shubin rings"
good wack while indexing would throw hole mess off
just loosen 10 bolt pattern on outside of turret,
slip it back and tighten down

everyone calls them something differant
there 2 tapered rings that when compressed tighten
down on a shaft.
i started calling them shubin rings when i saw that name in a nakimura book and then called them by that name to a bearing supply house and he knew what i ment.

Got it, that makes sense. We have a QT-10 that has a misaligned turret and not too long ago it did crash during a tool change so that might have done it...

Thanks,
Jason

The man doing it is a Centroid dealer and he has had the machine sitting for a couple a years, guess he's also having trouble with the Mazak prints.

Wippin.

Regarding Shubin Rings. We call them any name under the sun also. Never quite sure. I did some hunting, some time back. I’m not sure how much life they have. Some turrets and screw couplings tended to let go too easy, after subsequent hits. So I like to keep a few around as spares. Agency prices for ones with a Mazak part number, seemed a little to expensive to me for what they are.

I believe that the authentic Mazak ones are Tsubakitoto. The people that do Tsubaki chain. So a lot of your Power transmission places can get them. They just don’t know it yet. In a lot of the Mazak manuals they refer to them as “power lock”

Jason. There’s a picture of them here.

http://tsubakimoto.com/product/locking/keyless-friction-type-locking-device/el-series/detail/110/1/1/1/5/

What it doesn’t show is the associated components. All ways easy to tell. On your shaft there will be a collar with many S.H.C.S, normally 8 or 12. These compress those couplings so they lock between the shaft and the turret hub. What they will do with a hit, is slip. Which is a good thing. That screws your rotation timing up. Its normally a matter of getting the turret to site where it should be, and relaxing these couplings, so that you take out the error, between the turret, and the shaft that rotates it.

Regards Phil.

Well those shubin rings must be a little more stout that I thought. We loosened the 8 bolts on the face of the turret and gave it a good whack but it didn't even move the indicator! Must be something else locking that in place.

Jason.

We weren’t expecting you to go whacking things just yet. If you had the turret seated / clamped and the hydraulics on. The turret drum would have been firmly seated on the curvic coupling. So any amount of whacking shouldn’t move the drum.

Does it still index nicely? What you may have done with out knowing it, is relex any torsional wind up, between where the turret has to sit, and the rotation shaft that turns it. If it looks to be indexing correctly, and not over or under shooting, when it pulls back to clamp. Its good to go.

Short on minutes right now. We have had this discussing before. Some really good threads, you might try searching. “Curvic” or “turret”. There was one that Bobw had a problem with.

Regards Phil.

Are you telling me that "small machine tools" and "big hammers" don't go together??? I'll try to find the threads. Actually we finally got it, our Mazak rep told us to do the same thing! He said he's done it a number of times. He said a few owners preferred to turn away before he took a swing at it. Anyway, thanks for all the info and help! Thanks, Jason

---"We weren’t expecting you to go whacking things just yet"---
hell
i didn't even know we were working on something :D

Back