What's new
What's new

tool angle setup question

D. Rey

Titanium
So I'm trying to use a left hand 55 degree DNMG insert tool. cut angle is 93 degrees. I have the tool data file set for left hand tool, forward spindle.

the backplot at the control does not change, and will not clean out this corner no matter if I set the cut angle to 93 or 148?

the tip angle stays 55 degrees so no change there.

What is the control looking for?

Just to make it more confusing when I backplot the same program using camlink with a cut angle of 148 it works fine.

any guidance appreciated as always.

I ran into a similar problem earlier this week, exactly what it was, I sadly can't remember. I just started swinging the angle around all over the place until I got what I wanted in the backplot on the machine. I ended up using a cut angle of 0. I wish I remembered the specifics, but the whole week has been a complete blurr.

Another thing to try if your going out of your mind is to call it a groove tool. It will let your turn normally even though it is a "groove" tool. Though there should be some combination of angles that will let you do what you want to do.

Tried a negative value? Or the compound of the angle?

I've had to fool my control to get the job done fairly often. Like my girlfriend, sometimes it's hard to know what they're looking for....with the obvious exception of shoes or diamonds.

don't know nuthin'
other than the best mazatrol people i got
all say you need to lie to a mazak about 1/3 of the time
guess that's why they call it
"conversational"

so callin it something other than it is(maybe try callin' it a duck :D )
may be where your headed

I've had the same situation where you have to lie to the machine. I've found that if you put in the tool data the cutting angle at 1 deg and the cutting edge angle also at 1 degree the tool will actually cut about any angle without the control inhibiting it(with only limitations to the angle of the tool). Also, there are some user parameters you can change to correct your problem, but it is easier to lie to the machine.

Back